531 Competition

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Afternoon;

simple one I hope....when did 531C become obsolete or perhaps better to say when did frame builders or shops cease to use / sell it?

Cheers.

1997 rings a bell from somewhere back in the aged memory banks. You can still buy 531 from Reynolds :)

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun,

That fits in with what I thought & ties in nicely with the sellers story. Saddle & headset threw me as they're 10 years earlier & it's a one owner bike which hasn't been altered (well perhaps the saddle has been changed).

Cheers :)

Buying again? I fancy a lo pro but the smaller front wheel has always put me off until ..........

Please don't rely on my memory, however I have the feeling that by the mid 90's Reynolds had decided that high end frames would be TIG welded and only lower class frames would be lugged.

Shaun

Yep bought again... mercian this time...will be revealed once i've changed the stem so it fits and found a saddle more in keeping (came with a Unicanitor Grantour).

As for a lo-pro; do it - great fun to have a blast on. A 650 front isn't anywhere as extreme as a 24"

Until my hard-drive died I had the Reynolds timeline stored, however I can't find it on the net but 90's does ring correct.

I have a real soft spot for Mercian, never seen a duff frame. Even their cheapest Campionissimo looked nicely made and finished :)

Good buy :D

Shaun

My mistake was to go in the shop after christmas - frames / bikes on show - just superb. got me wanting one & saw one just my size on the net last week so it became a no brainer.

Oooooooooohh, the best Mercian ever, graceful fork rake makes the front end and the fastback tapered stays the rear view. Good for TT, road and kermesse :)

They occasionally sell as Aende so I look for the Stradale that way.

I guess you can feel the jealousy LOL

Shaun

Latest posts

Back