Is my chain now too short?

stormed

Dirt Disciple
Since changing to a 39/53 from a 42/52, I fear this could be too short when in "big to big" cogs. Should I worry about this or leave as is? It all works fine, moves though all the gears smoothly, but I still want it to be correct.

Attachments

• DSCN0916.JPG
    DSCN0916.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCN0917.JPG
    DSCN0917.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 585
  • DSCN0918.JPG
    DSCN0918.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 585
Re:

If that is in big to big I would say it is fine, you shouldn't really be running it at such extremes too often if at all ;) :D

Re:

The way to test it is to change to small/small and see if you can put another couple of links in without the chain tapping on the dérailleur sprocket.

As above, you're unlikely to be in big/big all that often (or more accurately it's easy to avoid) so no big drama.

It's too short for me. I'd add another two links so that it doesn't pull the derailleur to the extreme of its travel like that.

That looks fine to me. Everything I've read says in 'big to big' the right length is as short as you can go and still have observable deviation round the derailleur pulleys. And as others have said you should not be in that gear (or small to small).

Re:

Looks too short to me as well.
Although I too would never ride on that gear, as others have also stated. Don't think the next one down would be much better either.
Got a photo of small/small?

Mike

glpinxit":20iwbe0k said:
the right length is as short as you can go and still have observable deviation round the derailleur pulleys.
Might apply to road or mtb triples with long cage mechs, but for a road double, short cage, I'd have an extra inch of chain in there. Too short chain can (in some cases) give you less than optimal shifting and faster wear.

Latest posts

Back