Managed to get this old Raleigh

spitball

Retro Guru
I have been after one for a while and today was my lucky day, well not quite that lucky it's got no groupset just the sante BB and chainwheel, what do you lot reckon? not bad frames so I have heard

112dhxd.jpg

33eixs0.jpg

zstxly.jpg

Any input on what group to use? will a Shimano 1056 do it justice?

Nice - where did you find it?

I've got a hankering for one of those myself, albeit with all the Sante kit on it. Have you seen the prices that Sante kit achieves on eBay?!

The Shimano 1056 would do the job nicely I think, whatever you want, really.

I do have a late 1980's Raleigh 653 Race frame which as far as I can tell is exactly the same as the RRA Moderne so that may well get a new paintjob and then I can spend a lifetime and fortune amassing the correct groupset ;-)

Let us know how you get on with it..

I had a look on eBay for some sante, couldn't find any though, if it fetches good money perhaps I should sell the chainwheel and BB, I got some sante brake levers with it as well but they have lost all of their white finish( at least I think they are sante), I'm now thinking a nice Dura ace group as at least it you can call that an upgrade. Trouble is with this and the 87 Raleigh race frame I bought not long back I'm now getting myself at it (as it were) as to what to do :roll:

I built up a Raleigh MTrax 300 race lite the other month with an RX100 group, but I am now thinking I have gone the wrong way with that, I need a break :D :D

Re:

How about this: NOS Crankset on eBay

Cripes - nearly £300 for a set, but you do get the silver dustcaps ;-) It's been for sale for a while though so I guess that may be an optimistic price.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sante is surprisingly cheap when it comes up on eBay. I picked up a new unused front mech for a tenner and a new unused rear mech went for 40 a few months ago. It doesn't come up that often but I would say it's worth going for if you can be patient. Ultegra would be nice too but you don't get many rear mech in nice condition. 105 might be selling it a bit short unless you can do it with brand new components IMHO.

Well today I threw it together :cool:

The Sante chainwheel and BB came with it although not fitted, it had a tri colour chainwheel fitted I don't know why, anyway I improvised and used the group off the raleigh mtrax race lite I built which I wasn't overly happy with.

It may not be Sante but the white and grey finish rx100 fits quite well with the lugs and paint I think, meanwhile I will keep a look out for the proper group for it.

Excuse the black tape, it's just holding the cables out of the way while I quickly rode it around the block.

fojek9.jpg

25z5d8k.jpg

1p729h.jpg

15hhh81.jpg

2iw23rc.jpg

Back