Laurent Fignon Replica Build up Help Required

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
OK I've just had a Dyno-Tech XMT Metal Matrix frame arrive which I'm lead to believe is quite uncommon?
Its in Mint condition all white with a couple of the Raleigh Decals on the seat tube so I thought I would built up up as a Laurent Fignon 1989 replica bike with all C-Record parts.
The frame is 22 inches centre of the BB to top of the seat tube.
I've weighed the frame with out the headset or any parts fitted & its 1560 gms & the forks are 710gms
It's missing some decals on the Top tube & the forks & the existing ones are on top of the paint IE not under any lacquer so first question is where can I get some correct decals the thicker Vinyl ones that don't need to be under lacquer?
Next what make & model Handlebars & Stem did he use?
I'm more or less certain that the team used Wolber TX Profile 20mm Clincher Rims & 23mm Super HD Comp tyres.
Pedals I think were the white Time Equipe or Silver Mag ones. Which I already have NOS (I bought 10 pairs of them 5 years ago all NOS with Cleats & boxes)
A Rolls Saddle I think?

So please make an Old Man very happy & advise me if I'm wrong on any of the parts PLUS any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_1419.jpg
    IMG_1419.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_1417.jpg
    IMG_1417.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_1421.jpg
    IMG_1421.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,115
Love a Castorama!!

For decals I would buy from Cyclomondo http://cyclomondo.net/. Do not get the ones on Ebay, they are poor in comparison. The team bikes didn't lacquer the decals - easier to remove and replace when damaged if they weren't.

Yep, rims were TX Profil with Michelin Hi-LIte tyres, Time pedals Magnesium, Turbo saddle, 3TTT bars and stem.

There is an old Cycling Weekly extract somewhere on here that has pretty much the full bike spec.

Good luck with the build.

Matt

Matt_wood55":3fxvf0lv said:
Love a Castorama!!

For decals I would buy from Cyclomondo http://cyclomondo.net/. Do not get the ones on Ebay, they are poor in comparison. The team bikes didn't lacquer the decals - easier to remove and replace when damaged if they weren't.

Yep, rims were TX Profil with Michelin Hi-LIte tyres, Time pedals Magnesium, Turbo saddle, 3TTT bars and stem.

There is an old Cycling Weekly extract somewhere on here that has pretty much the full bike spec.

Matt

Thanks Matt, I was hoping you or Shaun come back to me on this. How the hell do I find that "Cycling Weekly extract" on here?

Chris

stringfellow1946":1437pkn9 said:
Matt_wood55":1437pkn9 said:
Love a Castorama!!

Matt

Thanks Matt, I was hoping you or Shaun come back to me on this. How the hell do I find that "Cycling Weekly extract" on here?

Chris

I have stumbled across it a few times in Google images by accident!!

That's a really nice basis for a build, lots of Super U/Casto lovers here.

Matt is half right with his build suggestions, handlebars and stem during 1989 (Super U) and 1990 (Castorama with Campagnolo shiny bits) were from ITM not 3TTT. From what I've found on Google it looks like 3TTT bits when the team went over to the dark side in 1991 (started using Shimano bits).

Saddle is by Turbo, wheels and tyres are Wolber/Michelin 23mm clinchers as you say, these will be like rocking horse droppings though, it took me months to find mine but I got lucky and found some NOS wheels with C Record hubs in France. Shifters were Simplex friction rather than Campagnolo friction or Syncro. Having tried to index a C Record RD with Syncro II levers I can see why! I'll post a link to my build thread and you can see mine which apart from the pedals is about as close as you'll get to the 1990 build. I've used Look pedals since 1988 so stuck with them rather than go for Time.

Bar tape will be your next problem, although I'm rather fond of my Bastille Day tricolour set up...

Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it finished..

Martin

Penfold6290":1fw7384d said:
That's a really nice basis for a build, lots of Super U/Casto lovers here.

Matt is half right with his build suggestions, handlebars and stem during 1989 (Super U) and 1990 (Castorama with Campagnolo shiny bits) were from ITM not 3TTT. From what I've found on Google it looks like 3TTT bits when the team went over to the dark side in 1991 (started using Shimano bits).

Saddle is by Turbo, wheels and tyres are Wolber/Michelin 23mm clinchers as you say, these will be like rocking horse droppings though, it took me months to find mine but I got lucky and found some NOS wheels with C Record hubs in France. Shifters were Simplex friction rather than Campagnolo friction or Syncro. Having tried to index a C Record RD with Syncro II levers I can see why! I'll post a link to my build thread and you can see mine which apart from the pedals is about as close as you'll get to the 1990 build. I've used Look pedals since 1988 so stuck with them rather than go for Time.

Bar tape will be your next problem, although I'm rather fond of my Bastille Day tricolour set up...

Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it finished..

Martin

Sorry, I meant ITM!!

Back