Headbadge ID - is it anything?

S1m0nR

Old School Hero
Hello chaps,

I was wondering if anyone can ID this headbadge:

I haven't seen one of these before and it may just be generic as it's a refinished frame but I thought I'd ask if anyone knew either way.

Cheers for now,

Simon.

Re:

Thanks chaps,

Yeah - those head lugs are pretty ornate and unusual. The frame has a 531 Renovated sticker on it and appears to be pretty light. It's got pressed dropouts (not forged) so that suggests to me that it's either low-rent or sometime pre about 1980. Not a very precise way of dating it, I know.

I think it probably received some of its more modern components at the time of renovation, so there's not much to tell there. I can't discern any serial numbers or other useful markings.

A couple more pics:

Many thanks!

Well, I think that clinches it. It's a Dawes Celeste or Star Celeste. Those decorative chromed head-tube rings (they're not actually lugs: the frame is bronze welded) were a patented Dawes feature.

Late sixties to mid seventies. Look for a serial number on the rear dropout.

....to me it looks like a 1950/60's metal Dawes handlebar stem badge (judging by the size) has been riveted onto the head tube when the frame was refinished also it's off centre which I'm sure wouldn't have been the original position

Griff

Re:

Wow - that's some pretty amazing detective work!

Many thanks to everyone who answered the thread, really great to get an answer both to what the 'headbadge' is and also to what the bike is. I didn't know that Dawes were using decorative headtube rings, or indeed that they were building lugless frames that early on.

Cheers :)

Re: Re:

S1m0nR":2mo24pf6 said:
they were building lugless frames that early on.

Cheers :)

Lugless frames were most prolific during and after the war when there was a shortage of steel. It became cheaper to pay a skilled craftsman to fillet braze the frame tubes together, than buy steel lugs.

Times have changed somewhat :)

Back