Tandem Frame damage advice needed.....

BretonDave

Old School Hero
Hi all,

Just picked up this early 90's tandem - tubing is Reynolds 531c.

As you can see in the photo the stokers seat tube has been damaged while attempting the removal of the seat post.

I will get it repaired but would prefer to wait 'til winter to strip it etc. What I really want to know is if I can safely use it in the meantime? We'll be mainly doing weekend rides without too much weight on it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1014523.JPG
    P1014523.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 457
Crikey, has that split with the seat post showing through? You have to be going some to do that to steel, even 531c !

Wouldn't like to put my bottom near that, sorry.

Shaun

Re:

From the photo it looks like someone has either clamped the tube and tried twisting out the seat post or they used some heat. Has the seat post been replaced or is it still stuck? If its still stuck I think you'd be best cutting it out, although it is set very low, so not easy.

Ride wise it looks ok to me :)

Midlife":jlkcxklm said:
Crikey, has that split with the seat post showing through? You have to be going some to do that to steel, even 531c !

Wouldn't like to put my bottom near that, sorry.

Shaun

:shock: Wow, must be time for an eyesight test, I didn't see the split!

If there are no seat stays visible then I guess its an Hellenic design. Even more stress on the seat tube while riding ...

Ouch!

Shaun

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Think of the pain.Not to mention the possible end of your sex life for a considerable time if the stoker is your other half. Just say no.

Hi All,

My error - its the steerers seat tube - if that makes any difference!

I'm weighing in at a paltry 12.5 Stones! And I REALLY wanted to get some use out it this summer (if we get one!).

Yes its even worse.Under heavy braking the stokers weight bears down on that in the same way that yours bears down on the bars at the front. Add to that you weight and you are asking for trouble. We ride tandem most all of the time now and it is always said that one component you never go lightweight with is the captains seat post. It gets far too much stress.Unless you can cobble up some sort of meaningful temporary reinforcing I would give it a big miss.I weigh slightly less than you and our all up weight is 20 1/2 stone and I would not even consider it. Sorry.Pick up a cheap machine from e bay for summer and repair this one at your leasure
Peter

Back