Bike info from very old photos?

Newman8

Devout Dirtbag
Found some old pics here of my Dad's bike:
I think the pics are from the end of the 1950's, but could be a few years either side.
I believe it to have been a fixed gear with a front brake & used for touring - would that have been a common set up prior to dérailleurs?
Someone told they remember it being yellow!
if anyone recognises any features/details of the bike itself from the super hi-res pics here, tell me what you know...!!!

Attachments

• dadsbike1.jpg
    dadsbike1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 898
  • dadsbike2.jpg
    dadsbike2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 898
Great photos. Certainly a single speed set up wouldn't have been unusual and I'm not sure when two brakes became a requirement.The bike looks like it's got some detailing in the paint work, lug work and an oval head badge - I bet someone could make a good guess.

Re:

I would suggest early 50's, Fixed wheel and one brake was commonly used and legal, if a freewheel then 2 brakes law was mid 30s.

I was using a 10 speed system in 1949.

The only thing I recognise is the GB brake lever.

Keith

Thanks for the comments,
Wow - 10 speed in 1949 - that's brilliant!
I know my Dad & his friends used to walk up quite a few hills!
Again - don't know if it was the norm - but rather than using panniers, they toured with just a saddle bag, but would have arranged to have clothes parcels posted in advance to youth hostels.
I had a look through some old head badges but didn't see anything that looked similar...

Thanks for the comments & pm's. (Nice link too). There could be some mileage in the Hobbs idea - it's certainly the right shape headbadge & I've not seen any images of closer looking badges. Dates also seem about right. Hobbs were either London or Essex, yes? Does that mean they were only sold in London or sold far & wide? It would almost certainly have been purchased in Yorkshire.

I only have scanned versions of the photos but may be able to have a look at originals with a magnifying glass later in year, see if any words can be made out. (More curious now)!

my headbadge:
headtube_zpsfdf80ba0_1.jpg

before I cleaned the bike and removed non-period parts
as it appears currently

Philip
Adelaide, Australia

Newman8":2n8j7rf6 said:
Thanks for the comments & pm's. (Nice link too). There could be some mileage in the Hobbs idea - it's certainly the right shape headbadge & I've not seen any images of closer looking badges. Dates also seem about right. Hobbs were either London or Essex, yes? Does that mean they were only sold in London or sold far & wide? It would almost certainly have been purchased in Yorkshire.
I only have scanned versions of the photos but may be able to have a look at originals with a magnifying glass later in year, see if any words can be made out. (More curious now)!

Hobbs of Barbican were (pre-WW2, and during the war did war work) actually in Barbican, they moved out to Dagenham post war.

There were a series of framebuilders shows in 1950, many in attendance (Hobbs were one); I would assume cyclists from the provinces would have attended(therefore exposing London builders to a wider audience).

Looks like you have a decal rather than a badge.

Jon.

Big Block":lsjiyjeq said:
my headbadge:
headtube_zpsfdf80ba0_1.jpg

before I cleaned the bike and removed non-period parts
as it appears currently

Philip
Adelaide, Australia

Decal rather than a headbadge; Hobbs headbadges are very rare. I am lucky both my HoBs have the brass and glass enamel headbadges.

Both styles are rare, the Wheatsheaf is super rare (the only one I've seen is this one, owned by a friend).

Jon.

Attachments

• HobbsWheatsheafHb.jpg
    HobbsWheatsheafHb.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 666
  • HobbsOrganHb.jpg
    HobbsOrganHb.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 666
Yes of course - I know you're right, but I use the term 'head badge' very generally to just mean the logo/crest on the head tube!
Looks like a stunning collection of bikes by the way.

Latest posts

Back