Setting up for photos

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

After two and a half years I think the Montello is finished ...all the final tweeks are now done ...

So I am going to have a photo session.

What do people consider the key set up points?

- Valves at 6pm
- Chain on the big chainring and smallest sprocket; this means the lhs lever is back
- Drive side crank at 3pm plus a bit so the non-drive side is in line with the chainstay
- What about pedals; hanging cage down or a bit of hidden blutack to keep them upright???
- Any other things?

That was my effort last time:

************************/images/montello/finals/720/1-montello.jpg

I leave the pedals hanging naturally
I sit the chain about midway up the cluster...I don't like the upper chain angled too diagonally
I too have the crank arms inline with the stays
I make sure the saddle height is in proportion to the frame size even if it's not how I might ride it

I don't have a fancy camera so I don't know what tricks they can do but, when I take photos I stand well back from the bike and use a bit of zoom to get it framed right
If I stand too close the bike gets distorted (mild fisheye) kind of like your photo there

If indoors I try to get good lighting so I don't have to use the camera flash which spoils chrome

If they're period correct in look and complimentary to the frame then definitely on...possibly not with bottles though
I only leave bottles in if it's one of my old TT bikes with aero bottles that suit the theme of the frame

Big Ring small Sprocket with the R/H crank at the same position as your down tube or just below it at 2 o clock position. Skewers horizontal on the non drive side.

Valves at the 12 o clock position so you can see the Tubular brand name

Nob":4vldign6 said:
Big Ring small Sprocket with the R/H crank at the same position as your down tube or just below it at 2 o clock position. Skewers horizontal on the non drive side.

Valves at the 12 o clock position so you can see the Tubular brand name

I think you may have convinced me on the valve position but not the cranks....

Fishing line or hidden stick. Stand interferes with the lovely view.

Bounce flash off ceiling. Iron the sheet and place the bike a bit further forward on it.

Re:

My six centimos worth... Crank at back to align with seat tube, stickers on rims opposite valves with tyre logos centered over valves, reduce the brake cable lengths, remove bike stand use a cat/rabbit/guinea pig dependent on crank length, both QR's to be horizontal pointing back, take photo from square on from mid point of height to avoid distortion, hard to take a bad photo of such a nice bike though :D

Edit: matching collars n' cuffs?

Brake cables are the correct length, I measured the arc size off period photos and scaled them to get the correct arc from the bars.

Black saddle and white bar tape was standard BITD but white saddles do look good.

Back