Hub gears

JamesV8

Retro Newbie
I have an old bike I am going to restore and the first thing to decide on is the gears.
It originally had a 4 speed sturmey archer hub gear but that broke years ago. It was replaced with a 3 Speed which is not working now so needs replacing anyway.

I would like to keep it original if poss, and would also want it to work properly, but dont want to be trying to achieve the impossible.

I can get hold of a correct period second hand 4 speed hub but obviously dont know the internal condition but I assume it will need attention due to the age etc.

Will complete new internals fit into an old hub?
Any recommendations as to where to get the hub looked at and repaired?
The rear drop outs are 105-110mm. Any ideas or suggestions for a different solution?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

If the current 3 speed Sturmey wheel is ok why not try and mend it? I have personal hatred of taking them to bits but that's just me lol

Shaun

Midlife":3gxsfliw said:
If the current 3 speed Sturmey wheel is ok why not try and mend it? I have personal hatred of taking them to bits but that's just me lol

Shaun

I want to retain the rim and spokes but as the 3 speed is not working and not original I thought that now was the best time to replace it. It was the same rim and spokes as in the 4 speed hub.

Back