Not very retro Campa / Shimano compatability question

Remko

Senior Retro Guru
Hi,
Since Retrobike is my usual environment for retro mtb stuff I'm placing my question about about newish roadbikes here.

A friend of mine has problems shifting his Campagnolo Veloce shifters. Simply because of a lack of coordination and strength in his fingers. He asked me to think about a sollution.
I've found some "as new" Dura Ace parts that I want to use for his bike.
I'm expecting the Dura Ace stuff to work more lightly and ergonomically.
The only parts I want to leave on his bike are the Campagnolo chainset and front mech.

Question is: will the 9 speed Dura Ace group combine with the Veloce 10-speed chainset and front mech? And would you advise to ride a Shimano or a Campagnolo chain?

Thanks in advance,
Remko

Re:

The Veloce chainset and front mech should work ok with the Dura-Ace parts providing the left hand lever is friction only not indexed. I would use a 9 speed chain (make not that important) as that will fit both the rear cogs and rear derailleur jockey wheels and cage fine and still be accommodated by the Veloce parts.
Hope this helps.

I would guess you are talking about STI rather than DT shifters. If its a newish bike.......... No such thing as friction STIs.

On the other hand, any decent mechanic should be able to get a hybrid campag/shimano 9/10 speed double front mech and chainset working fine. Friction or not. Shifting loads might be higher than with a shimano mech. But TBH, if thats an issue, you can get a cheap 105 mech for about 15 quid that'll solve the issue.

Just make sure you get all the cables routed correctly, new inners outers etc. That'll probably have a bigger impact on shifting loads than the brand of mech/shifter. Ergonomics/dexterity is another matter altogether.

Re:

You're right, I think there are more ways to solve the problem than swapping almost the complete Campagnolo group for the Dura Ace group, but the Dura Ace group I've found is actually in a very nice condition, so that's also a reason to consider the swap.
I hope it works out nicely.

Latest posts

Back