HELP to Identify this Peugeot

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
HELP PLEASE
OK guys I need help to identify this Peugeot Frame. It looks like the paint is original & it has the number tag & drilled rear drop outs indicating this might be an EX Team Bike. There is a very small hole in the front of head tube indicating its missing a badge? it has the name GEERTS S painted on the top tube in very small letters by the seat post.
When I bought it it was contaminated with Colnago Decals & Columbus tubing Decal. The parts it came with were
Spidel / Prestige-Simplex Super LJ rear gear,

Gear levers Simplex Braze on SLJ

Campagnolo Nouvo Front gear (obliviously wrong)

Spidel Brakes (weird things where the complete mounting bolt unscrews!)
Spidel Seatpost, 107 Chainset? 53/45,

Spidel / Stronglight Competition 118mm cartridge bearing BB axel, 

Spidel / Stronglight Competition headset, 

Spidel / Maillaird 700 Pedals. 

Front wheel, Mavic SSC Silver 32 hole Mailliard Spidel 700 Professional Front Hub.

Rear Wheel Super Competion Champion 28 Hole Rim tied & soldered spokes, Hub Unknown at this time. (No markings)

Ideale 2002 Saddle

Cinelli 1R stem, Cinelli 66 42 bars

Frame seat tube measures 51cm CTC
The frame weighs 1740 Grams

The forks 610 Grams (note the strange shape lion embossed on the forks)

So is this 753, bearing in mind its 27mm seat post?

Or 531c competition tubing?

French threaded BB & Forks ,
27mm seat post,
Braze on Gear bosses. 

NB It has an Internal rear Bake cable!!
The closest I can come to identifying it is a PRO-10 but the seat stays look wrong compared to the Pro -10???
If it had the external brake cable then I would have thought it was a PY-10!
So any help is very very appreciated Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1401.jpg
    IMG_1401.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1402.jpg
    IMG_1402.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 435
Nice frameset. The lion is Peugeot's logo, so they're the right forks for the frame, the weights sound about right for 753, in fact the forks sound very light considering they are chromed (my painted 753 forks from a 56cm frameset weight 670g). Have you checked out the Perthus Pro that Peugeot made in the 80's that was 753 and had chromework (I believe that other manufacturers steered clear of plating 753 due to some aspect of the process conflicting with the tubing?). I'm sure others will be along to correct any discrepancies I've made. Cheers Matt

Matt70":2esx20wl said:
Nice frameset. The lion is Peugeot's logo, so they're the right forks for the frame, the weights sound about right for 753, in fact the forks sound very light considering they are chromed (my painted 753 forks from a 56cm frameset weight 670g). Have you checked out the Perthus Pro that Peugeot made in the 80's that was 753 and had chromework (I believe that other manufacturers steered clear of plating 753 due to some aspect of the process conflicting with the tubing?). I'm sure others will be along to correct any discrepancies I've made. Cheers Matt

Hi Matt yes i agree 100% with your comments on the chrome & Peugeot doing it.
Whats strange is the Loin on the forks is different to any other I've seen on Peugeot forks.
Also The Peugeot embossed on top of the seat stays I think it makesit made by the Prestige Peugeot Factory?? (the Raleigh SBDU equivalent ) I do't thing that this embossing was on the Perthus Pro frames.
Chris
I forgot to say its a 51cm frame CTC

BITD Peugeot used to bring frames to trade shows and the reps carted them around the bike shops. Its after my time but the mix of panto work, chrome, internal cabling and drilled dropouts makes me think its a limited edition, either for trade shows or for actual use in anger on the road.

Very nice but too small for me lol

Shaun

Back