8 speed to 10 speed conversion

bg2

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i've only started looking into this (this morning), so excuse my ignorance, whilst i continue researching

i have an italian steel frame 1992ish - i love the frame, but it's a lot of weight.

130mm rear spacing

shimano ultegra hubs, currently takes an 8 speed block

Looking into modern day 105 groupsets, 10 speed.

mainly as a weight saving exercise, and for better shifting functionally.

any precedent for this please?

my main concern is whether the rear hub can take a 10speed block, as when i got the wheels, i tried a 7 speed block on the hub, and it would have required a spacer, so I'm wondering if i'll come across the same issue.

8,9,10 use the same freehub.

Some 10 speed cassettes need a spacer, it comes in the box.

That particular conversion (8 to 10) should be plug and play.

Make sure the hanger is absolutely straight, 10 is much less tolerant to a tweaked hanger than 8 is. (Use the tool, don't try and eyeball it)

The 10 speed cassette should fit your hub if you have an 8 speed on there now. Then you'll need a 10 speed rear mech, the STI levers, and possibly a front mech (I'm not sure if they changed the cable pull on that too when they went to 10 speed)

Depending on what chainrings you have now, you might need to change those too.

And if the STI levers are the shimano ones with gear cables under the bartape then you'll need new shimano brakes too as they changed to cable pull when they hid the cables...

If you want the new stuff then great, but be aware that a simple change from 8 to 10 sprockes might end up costing a fair bit more than you might imagine.

Swapping to older 9 speed might be a reasonable solution - new levers, cassette and chain, maybe a rear mech (your 8 speed one might work fine), probably no need for new chainrings, and definitely no need to change brake calipers.

Back