Rear dropouts....

bikestuart

Dirt Disciple
Bought a lovely Gios Torino. When it arrived it had clearly been dropped somewhere along its travels as the rear dropouts are bent. Pic attached. Anyone any experience of bending back dropouts as bad as this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 782
Re:

I've seen slight bends straighten out ok but that does look quite bad. Bending it back could cause a weakness and paint damage. Has it happened during transit? If so, I'd look at claiming off the courier company.

Re:

Thanks for that. I will sort out who pays for it later, just trying to ascertain my next step in getting this fixed in the short term. Try it myself using screwdrivers/clamps/brute force, or take it to someone...and if so, who?

Thanks again.

Re: Re:

bikestuart":57gb359d said:
...Try it myself using screwdrivers/clamps/brute force, or take it to someone...

Due to the nature of the bend I would have thought that will need the application of serious heat at least. Not one to do at home.

I don't think that is too bad. I would have a go at straightening that. I've done loads in the past. The majority I've done have been dropouts that have ripped opened the other way when rear mechs and chains get caught or crashed. Your dropout doesn't look stressed - no visible marks and cracks in the paint or steel from the pics you've posted.

Screw a rear mech or rear mech bolt into the hanger just to check it is still round. Use a large lever in the dropout to open the dropout up - use a rear axle to check how far you need to go, checking for cracks as you open it up.

You will need to check the OLN distance and dropout/hanger alignment when you are done though.

Re:

Thanks originalshinkicker and for all of the comments. Appreciate you making the time to help.

Decision made. I look out of the office window, the sun's shining, I'm feeling lucky. I'm at least going to have a go at it when I get home from work.

So - whether I break it, fix it, or make no impression on it - I will post up the results of my efforts tonight....

Cheers
Stuart

you'll need a gear hanger alignment tool also to ensure its parallel etc.

It may need heat to effect a more controlled straightening process but of course paint will be affected.

Latest posts

Back