Build ideas

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am about to pay for a 1948 Raleigh Record Ace. I have no clue about parts from this era though.

I know I would prefer to fit a Stronglight 49D chainset as I hate cotterpins with a passion but I would have to find one first. I know I will run the bike fixed gear and I know I will build the wheels using new wooden tubular rims. However I would like to use period hubs.
As for the other parts I need sugestions on period stems, bars (drop or path style), headset, seat post and of course hubs.

Saddle will of course be a brooks.

I want it to look like it's from 1948. however I need it to be practical too as I will ride it on the old club run.

Re:

There are catalogues, but from memory only:
Hubs either BH airlite or Bayliss Wiley solid centre large alloy flange.
Original wheels would have had dunlop steel rims possibly stainless, but tubulars optional. Wood rims would have rarely been seen post WW2 apart from perhaps grass track, although I used mine in all weathers 1949/50, with Constrictor tubulars (no stitching!!).
Brakes were GB.
49D were never seen until about 1955, no one trusted alloy cranks until Frech road men used them mid 50s.. (only French tourists). I had 49A (steel) in 1951. You will find the 5 pin fitting loosens with fixed. Raleigh made their own special forged steel 3 pin chainset, nothing wrong with cotter pins, how many millions were in use. I used to buy them a gross at a time.
Raleigh made every thing else, including special solid centre steel pedals, and handlebar stem for the very neat headclip, no expander.
In 1948 I had a BSA Gold Column, even rarer, BSA made the hubs and brazed on brakes.

A few memories.

Keith

Blimey Keith, I wish I had your memory :). Aside from the above the old uns used to go on about hollow Chater Lea cranks :)

Shaun

Re:

Shaun,
Can't remember hollow chaters, but they did make a thinner and lighter type. I had hollow Duprat cranks in 1957.

I had a good account with Kitching, and used to try a lot of his imports. Often to make up a carriage paid or discount order.

Back to the Raleigh, Peter Kohler has collected catalogue and other info on sports Raleighs, Lentons in particular. Recently he took notice of my insistence that they, like the Raleigh Carltons, were not club bikes, but aimed at schoolboys, where the market was. He was perpetuating myths that originated in the minds of Raleigh copywriters.

Memory? careful what you wish for. Odd triggers bring up all sorts of stuff I thought I had forgotten, but I can't remember what I read 2 minutes ago.

82 soon!

Best wishes

Keith

Thanks for the info. I do wonder how well sealed those hubs are. I take it they need constant servicing to keep them in good shape.

Re:

Chater Lea hubs had rubber type oil seals, Blumfield used felt, otherwise nothing.
What we did was run a little oil in either side of the bottom bracket and hub axles, and freewheel.
Sturmey archer gears regularly filled with water, mainly through the 3/16 bearings above the driver. I used to repair them, not use them.

I rode about 15000 miles in 1950, on one occasion near home was pedalling with hubs under water, in the flood, hoping to miss the 5 foot ditch. The hubs were ok, but I was not concerned by the look of a bit of built up dirt on the outside. My stuff worked, appearance was secondary.

In those days I was using 3/32 Brampton chain and Cyclo 5 speed freewheel, replaced after about 3 months. The freewheel had 3 pawls, acting simultaneously.

Keith

Latest posts

Back