Steerer/headset play on late 80's R501 raleigh

Percybigun

Old School Hero
On my late 80's raleigh eclipse (reynolds 501 frame & forks), there is slight play and a click/twang noise if i pull up on the handlebars (going uphill or whatever). I had the headset/steerer serviced at a LBS, and this problem started about a week later. It never had any problem before. I havent took it back to the LBS because i've moved away from their area. They've done loads of work on my bikes in the past and its always been tip top, so i doubt they've bodged it or anything.

Steerers & BB's are the only bits i darent touch on a bike, and i know nowt about them!

I've done alot of miles on the bike since it happened, and its never got worse, but its worrying/irritating.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to sort it, and what tools to use.

Put the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth, does it make a sound or move?

Shaun

Maybe the top race and locknut needs adjusting. Get it looked at or read the park tools website and have a go yourself.

Re:

I've tried holding the front brake on and rocking the bike, it does make the sound and has a very slight movement yes

Back