Bespoked Bristol

sisyphus

Retro Guru
i was wondering what other people thought of this event.
It was filled with stunning bikes, designs and frames. It was great to see some frame builders detailing their work with great lug designs and references to pre 1970's.
On the downside £15 entrance and perhaps a lack of anything educational or more interactive?

Would have loved to have gone but other cycling related events took over, some gorgeous bikes there. I don't think £15 for the entrance fee is that bad supposing how fantastic the event looked.

Yes - I could a have spent a long time there. I only mentioned the entrance fee because some people thought it was a lot.

Ah ok! I can't believe that some people think these events are going to be free or a minute amount. £15 for a day out Isn't bad at all, and you get to chat with the builders and see the bikes one to one. I paid £20 for a tweed run ticket and felt that was a reasonable amount for the mount of planning and freebies thrown into the event.

Re:

The way I look at this, a fair chunk of the ticket price subsidises the relatively cheap cost of the builders pitches.
I know for a fact that a lot of the exibitors there are doing this on a shoe-string, and wouldn't be able to be there if it wasn't for the ticket price.

I think this show is amazing. It's a huge inspiration to anyone thinking of starting making frames (like myself) and I'd gladly pay more than £15 to keep it going

Re:

A great event and the sun was shining :) Good to see it back in Bristol as well!

Some amazing builds, I think for me Paulus Quiros just about stole the show closely run by Faggin who had some stunning frames as well.

Talked to quite a few builders including Swallow who are just up the road from me. I did think the accessories in the Arnolfini was a bit of a let down. They seem a bit pushed for space to have everything in the Brunel Shed but I think it would be better with a larger venue and everything under one roof.

Re:

As I posted in the other thread, I thought it was a really excellent show, made better by the fact there there were a lot of smaller frame builders there this time.

The Arnolfini part was a bit limited, but as it is the first time they have had a separate hall for apparel etc (it being in with the bikes and frames previously), i thought it was OK.

I have to declare a vested interest here, as Mack Workshops (who were there) is my own current bun and forum member Jon.

Makster, nice to meet you and your bikes.

I have to split my favourite between Sword and Malcolm, as the fillet brazing and detailed fittings on Tim's Sword frames is amazing and the lugs on Ashley Malcolm's frames are an absolute delight.

It was good and I enjoyed it and met some people from here at last.

However a lot of the big names were missing this year (compared to last) whether this was due to Sea Otter, the Irish Bike show or lack of space I don't know.

There were only two companies with framebuilding parts (a third was banned from coming due to an 'incident' according to an organiser) whereas last year there were something like 6-10 of them. Also a lack of wheel building companies.

It felt cramped and stands were messy due to them not having much space.

Hopefully they'll find a bigger location for next year!

Back