Down to minute detail - ferrules

thebobajob

Devout Dirtbag
I have been supplied with some new, white, ribbed cable housing for my Sun Snipe restoration and it comes with some lovely shiny ferrules which look great.

Unfortunately the ferrules, when attached to the ends of the cables, won't fit in the cable stops. The cable (4mm) sits snugly in the ferrules which are 5mm wide.

Having looked at numerous pictures of Sun Snipes and Prestiges not many appear to have actually had ferrules fitted, the cable just going into the cable stops.

a) What are people's thoughts on this? I like them but they don't fit so are probably causing more problems with cable routing as they are at the moment.

b) Do you think the new paint job on the frame is preventing the ferrules going into the cable stops? Should I gently drill them out to be paint free? Or will they never fit anyway? Will drilling them out cause me problems with no paint being on the frame in the cable stops (this will be a fair weather bike unless Eroica Brittania is wet).

c) If I have no ferrules what is the best way of cleaning up the ends of the cut cables?

Thanks, as always!

Bob

Do you need a step down ferrule?
CAB24_640PX_1.jpg

Have you got a PIC of the cable stop on the frame

Shaun

Re:

Hi Shaun

I thought about that (well they cropped up whilst googling - never heard of them before) but we must be talking tiny amounts of difference. I think the step would be too small for the cable stop. The ferrules I have measure 5mm and so do the inside of the cable stops as far as I can tell. Some pics...

Bob

Attachments

• 2015-04-08 16.37.25.jpg
    2015-04-08 16.37.25.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 769
  • 2015-04-08 16.37.50.jpg
    2015-04-08 16.37.50.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 769
  • 2015-04-08 16.36.51.jpg
    2015-04-08 16.36.51.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 769
Those are "proper" braze on cable stops and we never used a ferrule. Just work a small rat tailed file inside the cable outer to remove any snags.

Someone will come along now and tell me they should have a ferrule :)

Shaun

Edited to add, when you use wire cutters a small amount of outer cable gets bent, snip off the bent bit with the cable cutters using the tips of tje cutters. You need good cutters and we kept a pair for use on cables only. Nowadays people use a cutting disk and a dremmel

Re:

That's great, thanks. Shame about the ferrules as they look nice but all the pics I have seen without them look fine too.

Appreciate your time.
Bob

You can also tidy up a cut end of a cable outer on a grinding wheel. Don't let it get too hot though as the plastic will melt, and I use an awl to tidy up after that. ;)

I know exactly what you mean, they look good....but they don't fit! I agree with Shaun, I don't think they are meant to have a ferrule and I never fit them. I think the step downs are usually used on gear cables, where they exit the last braze on before connecting to the derailleur.

Great looking build :)

Re:

Back in the 1950s I used to just touch the outer cable ends on the bench grinder so that the outer would sit straight.

Keith

Robbied196":jrrn7cop said:
I know exactly what you mean, they look good....but they don't fit! I agree with Shaun, I don't think they are meant to have a ferrule and I never fit them. I think the step downs are usually used on gear cables, where they exit the last braze on before connecting to the derailleur.

Great looking build :)

I think that's what I'll need for my gear cable. Where can I get those?
Sorry to the OP, just need some help, myself. :oops:

Mike

Back