Raleigh Dyna-tech Pro - information please

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The latest bike to come my way is a Raleigh Dyna-tech Pro. I'm mainly in the ATB section, so have little road bike knowledge, thus any information on this would be gratefully received.

Raleigh%2BDyna-tech%2BPro.JPG

I have been hoping to find a road bike to ride to see whether I want one or whether the existing bikes in my stable that are set up for the road are sufficient. However, I think this one might be too small for me. I'll give it a test when I get a chance anyway.

Am I right in thinking it's from 1990? There's a frameset in the catalogue that looks the same:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/5 ... s_1990.pdf

Made with Reynolds 2080, which I know is steel, but don't know what level/quality. Were they just sold as framesets? If so, I assume all the components were at the buyers discretion.

Apologies for the poor quality picture, I'll take some more when I get a chance.

Re:

I had a slightly later version a few years ago and loved it, until some idiot ran me over and snapped it!
It was a lovely ride, not the stiffest or quickest accelerating but rolled very smoothly and was surprisingly comfortable. Light wheels really brought it to life. IIRC, the handling was quite lively.
Here 'tis with previous owner. Very sad to see again!!
viewtopic.php?t=56754

2080 tubesets were the highest quality/lightest steel used in the Dynatech's. It was never used for any production MTBs - but a 'one off' turned up with factory-custom paint and a 2080 sticker a while back, so maybe a couple were prototyped or made for employees.
Produced by Reynolds, it was reputably the equivalent of 753 but without the butting necessary for brazing. Raleigh published very little reference to this but there's the occasional mention, like in this German catalogue; scroll down to the Pro frameset where it states ''Reynolds 753'':
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... eigh91.pdf
Incidentally, I couldn't see any evidence of butting when I chopped the downtube out of my broken frame!

Hope she fits, she's a beauty!

That's brilliant, thank you for the information. Hopefully I'll get a chance to clean her up a bit tomorrow and check all the components (pretty much all Campagnolo with a Sachs freewheel I think, but not sure what level of Campag - entry level I would presume?)

Gave this a ten minute rinse with soap and water so I could store it upstairs to free up space in the garage. It's far from mint, but I'm impressed how much better it looks already with minimal effort.

Raleigh%2BDyna-tech%2BPro%2B%25282%2529.JPG

I don't have another road bike, so not really experienced on sizing, but I think it will unfortunately be too small for me. I'll give it a go when I get time though and see how it feels.

Re:

I'd guess that's around a 21.5" / 54cm frame which according to Evan's sizing guide fits people 5'6"-5'9" / 168-175cm) tall.

The only way to know for sure though is to try it. As long as you can get the seat high enough and your elbows aren't behind your back, you should be ok ;)

Back