Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Happy Easter retrofolk ;)

I was wondering if anyone here can recommend some nice tanwall tyres?
Not tubs, just tyres. Around 23mm racing tyres.
I know Vittoria, Veloflex and Michelin make some but have any of you tried these? Hard to get on? Puncture resistance? Rolling feel?
In an ideal world, I'd get some Michelin Hi-Lites or Supercomps, but when these come up, they're not cheap.
Basically, what's good and what's best avoided?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Re:

I'm fond of the Vittorias and especially the Veloflex, but both are light and not the best against punctures. There's also Challenge - very good looking...

Re:

Cheeres Gav ;)

TBH, I'm not too bothered about puncture resistance, as long as I can get the buggers on and off ok! Seen Vittorias at £60 a pair, so may have to save up! Not sure if Veloflex are cheaper.

Mike

Try the planet x/on one web shop. They usually have something good on sale if you have a good poke around.

I just got some Veloflex from Ribble for the Merckx. Not ridden them yet obviously but reviews seem positive, and Rusty Bodie from here recommended them on another Merckx thread.

I commute on the Michelins, now on my second set. Grip is acceptable and winter puncture resistance is very good. They're a bit slippy on the velodrome though, you might want something a bit stickier for that.

Challenge make some really nice 'open tubulars' very nice and never punctured yet, fitting is dead easy compared to Veloflex.

Picture to show what they look like:

giospedall003_zps9403d1ed.jpg

Re:

Thanks for your suggestions fellas ;)

I found myself a nice NOS pair of Michelin Hi-Lites for one bike, still after a pair for the other one though :roll:

Mike

Back