Huret rear derailleur and Weinmann brake lever questions

thebobajob

Devout Dirtbag
I am VERY close to finally finishing my Sun Snipe restoration but have a couple of questions about the rear derailleur and brake levers if anyone can help?

The rear derailleur which I think is a Huret Eco seems to have 2 settings for the spring. Are these to do with the size of the freewheel? I have a 14-28T 5 speed freewheel. I have left the spring on the lower setting as per the image I found in an old brochure.

The Weinmann brake lever has a red button on which flips the lever up. What is this for? Is it to release the tension in the cable to enable the wheel to be removed more easily?

Thanks for your help
Bob

Attachments

• weinmann brake lever.jpg
    weinmann brake lever.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 642
  • Huret Eco rear derailleur.jpg
    Huret Eco rear derailleur.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 642
Not sure about the gear spring but the brake lever button is a 'quick release' to, as you say, remove the wheel easier. Lots of variations on this theme throughout the history of brake calipers even to this day. Some on the lever, some on the caliper.

The rear spring is just set at the best tension, on the tighter setting if the spring is a bit tired .......

Shaun

I'd be tempted to put it on the tighter one, an older spring and the chain on the small cog might mean the chain bouncing up and down on the chain stay. ?

Shaun

Yes, makes sense. Got to wait for new chain (old one too stretched), attach cables and set up yet so will see then.
Thanks
Bob

Re:

Just a small note - you say your buying a new chain so if the cogs have been well used you may will have skipping issues with your new chain as cogs & chains should be bought as a pair so the match well throughout there working lives.

New 5 speed freewheel too, the one that came with it was grinding horribly anyway. Front not too bad and I need to keep some original bits!
Thanks for advice

I always use the highest tension setting on my Huret rear mechs. Nice looking bike.

Back