Really Old Dawes Racer, 1938? 48?

ch88ky

Dirt Disciple
Ok So I purchased this recently.

I obviously know its is a dawes but not much else, I have cleaned it up a bit so you can see the paint.

It was white/cream colour with blue diamond boxes with gold/yellow decals, red and gold or white lines around the edges.

I have tryed to find out about it but the one I have found has brazed on pump pegs unlike mine..

Anyone know what model it is? Is it worth restoring?

It is in my size so I will keep it but Am unsure if to do it up or just make it safe and in working order.

This is the catolouge i found, http://www.veterancycleclublibrary.org. ... %20Library).pdf

The one like it in the catolouge is the "The Speed Sports" I think..

I will post a link to my Instagram With the Photos on. Its not working on here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Laura.

Re:

I had a look at the 1938 catalogue, and was surprised to see the number of models. Particularly the 531 butted with 27 inch wheels was very advanced for 1938.
I remember Dawes from the mid 50s when they were selling a popular schoolboy sports bike.

If the hub gear is original it should have a date on the shell, although some early AWs did not.

Restore it? Don't know.

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":2j2y3t2k said:
I had a look at the 1938 catalogue, and was surprised to see the number of models. Particularly the 531 butted with 27 inch wheels was very advanced for 1938.
I remember Dawes from the mid 50s when they were selling a popular schoolboy sports bike.

If the hub gear is original it should have a date on the shell, although some early AWs did not.

Restore it? Don't know.

Keith

Yes quite a few models in there.

The AW Hub is dated September 1948. In the catalogue it states it should have a AM Hub, Maybe someone changed it.

Having looked at it today it turns out the pump pegs are brazed on but someone also bolted some on too. So I am assuming its the 1938 model with incorrect rear wheel, handlebars and crank.

It is quite light for its age though.

Back