sturmey archer AG 1955 rear hub help on dynohub please

bikerboy

Retro Newbie
Can anyone tell me how to stop the magnet casing spinning? When reasembled and put back on the bike the central part that you attach the light electrical wires spins with the rest of the wheel unless you put your finger on it to stop it. Happy I have got all the correct bits for re assembly. There doesnt appear to be any lock washer or anything to stop it spinning. Dumbfounded! If you know the answer, please share it, thanks

From what I remember the hub cone washers and lock nut hold it. The windings and output terminals are called "armature" but do not turn.
It is 60 years since I had one apart.

There are exploded views out there if you search.

Keith

Thanks but it will not hold it and I have seen all the exploded views and nothing seems to be missing. It looks like they were forever changing the washers/nuts combos.

The early hubs had an elongated cone with long flats and a thick washer which fitted the flats and was used for adjustment, and was securely gripped by the locknuts.

I will try to find a drawing of it.
Keith

yes I have the 701 metal spacer, also the 703, but not the 704, albeit I have tried a washer there and it made no difference. I think the drawing you provide is either before or after the 55 model. I see from another AG drawing that there is a k605 spacer washer betweeen the armiture and left cone. The idea seems to be to sandwich the armiture between cone and cone locknut. I think its probably a case of trial and eror with a few different washers. Cheers

Back