tandem wheel advice

andymcadie

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum. I've got a 1942 Claude butler SWB tandem that i'm trying to get ready for this years L'Eroica and i'm in need of some advice regarding the front wheel. Last year the brakes were really scary on the Derbyshire hills resulting in a loss of shoe leather. This year i'm trying to fit a hub brake to the front wheel to help the aged Resillion brakes. I've got hold of a NOS tandem hub brake from a friend but it only has holes for 24 spokes. My existing wheel is a 36 hole hub. The spokes are heavy grade tandem spokes but i'm worried that the wheel won't be strong enough with the new spoke count. Does anyone ave any advice.
Thanks, Andy.

Hi.
24 is a very low count for a tandem. Having said that we ride 32 on both wheels with no problem. Lot depends on your combined weight and what the bike has in the luggage dept.Also you may not find the hub brake to be over brilliant.I once fitted an old marin out with two of them and it was not a good idea.I think a lot is going to depend on the rim.The hub is designed for 24 so is probably o.k.It may not look right for what you are doing but you really need a tough semi aero to carry it.I have a pair of mavic cx18 on 24 spoke and the front rim has cracked and thats on a solo road bike. 24 hole stuff is not easy to find either.sorry to be all doom . Any chance the hub flange would take more drillings to increase spokage ?
peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. I think the hub would take some more but not too sure I could get the holes equidistant, may end up with 48 spokes! The combined weight of the riders is about 26 stone as my stoker has a bit of meat on the bone so I think I may have to re-think the braking. I love the look of the original Resillion brakes but they're pretty ineffective, especially with a steel rim. Perhaps I'll swap for some Mavics I've got in the garage.
Cheers, Andy.

Whatever you do get rid of the steel rim.Lethal in the wet and not a lot better in the dry. Could well be the main cause of your problems. We are 20 stone all up plus the bike.Yes I was thinking of re drilling to 48 holes. Plenty of tandem stuff around at that and you wont need to go modern looking semi aero for the strength either. not had any dealings with resilion brakes so cant comment but all canti type brakes have to be set up properly for them to work well. Have a look at sheldon browns site for quite a lot of info on that.From experience I would not put too much effort into a drum brake set up.As said I used them for a winter mtb before discs came along and soon gave up on them.Try re setting the resillions and fit some long soft pads ( kool stops in salmon if possible) and change the rims over to alloy and you should notice quite a difference.
peter

Re:

Andy,
24 spokes sounds unlikely, is it by any chance 18 on one side and 9 elongated keyholes on a small flange?

I had a post war CB shortbase back in the 50s, we could get 50 mph on a slight downhill, used MAFAC racers brakes on 27 x 1 1/4 Weinmann alloy endrick rims, sokes 12 x 14 G single butted,32 and 40. Incredibly dangerous machine.

You cannot step off a tandem at 30 mph like you can a solo bike. Also the difference between a 58 inch or 64 inch wheelbase does not really matter, apart from for the rear rider who is right over the back wheel on the short one.

I still have a CB (Holsdworthy) tandem from mid 70s with 48 spoke wheels.

Keith

Hi Keith, thanks for the reply...and for the 'warning'. The current front wheel is a 36, but on steel rims. I was given a NOS drum brake (no spindle) from a box of four that a friends dad had left boxed up in his garage. It was marked as a 'Scandinavian tandem front brake'. It has 12 holes on the one side and 12 elongated keyholes on the small flange. It looks like there's enough room to drill another set of holes on both sides so I could make it into a 48 spoke wheel I guess. Whatever I do, I'll source some alloy rims for sure. Great advice, I'll let you know whether we survive.
Thanks, Andy.

Re:

Hi Andy,
The elongated key holes are normally intended to take 2 spokes, you feed in the spoke heads as you cannot bend the spokes enough to clear the large flange.
This suggests 24 spokes on the small flange side. Any chance of a pic or 2?

Keith

Back