Touring wheels for 1989/90 British Eagle Touristique

Marshall55

Retro Newbie
Just resurected a British Eagle Touristique 531st, and as I want to keep it in its "original" set-up (Shimano Triple SG Biopace, Exage 500, 7 speed HG50, down tube shifters, cantilevers etc), I'm just wondering what wheels to go for (the original front vanished a long time ago, and the rear is tired) i.e. Mavic A319 ?
The bike is fitted with Blackburn pannier racks (low rider front and conventional rear).
I do intend to do some light touring on it....LeJog for example !
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Spa's touring wheels have a very good reputation. Probably I'd buy off the shelf from them and simply put a spacer onto the hub to allow a 7 speed cassette to fit.

Re:

Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out. When it comes to hubs (especially the rear), what is the difference between Tiagra and Deore....does it matter ?

Re: Re:

Marshall55":2b8hf6nb said:
Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out. When it comes to hubs (especially the rear), what is the difference between Tiagra and Deore....does it matter ?

Mostly the spacing. Tiagra will be 130mm OLN, Deore will be 135mm. Quality very similar, I think.

Keep an eye out for people replacing OEM stuff on new bikes. You can get some very nice new wheels for very little and you can always go 8spd with your existing shifters as they will have the travel (adjust the stop screws on the rear mech to suit). This will give you access to cassettes with a wider range. Most of the older Shimano dt shifters have a interchangeable inserts to go to 8spds. I think I have some spare too.

Heres my 'tourer', with some Trek OEM wheels de-badged and some Shimano 600 shifters doing the 8spd work. I did have a Touristique too, but couldnt get on with the geometry.

more_norman_filth_285.jpg

Re:

I forgot to mention, bike is still running on the original (I presume) Shimano HG50 rear hub with seven speed 12-28 cassette. I've never had the need to remove the cassette as everything works as sweet as a nut, I'm presuming that this cassette will slide straight on to a Tiagra freehub with a spacer.

Latest posts

Back