Freddie Grubb Fixie

hamcob

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,
Just brought a "Freddie Grubb" fixie today. it was a spur of the moment impulse buy and was wondering if anyone knows any thing about it?
I've read that he was a decent cyclist back in the day, wining a silver medal in 1912 olympics.
I am hoping to restore the bike to original spec if possible and have some fun doing that and riding it!
Cheers Jamie

Attachments

• 20150317_144846 copy.jpg
    20150317_144846 copy.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 621
  • 20150317_144826 copy.jpg
    20150317_144826 copy.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 621
  • 20150317_144836 copy.jpg
    20150317_144836 copy.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 621
Re:

Its got track ends on it. 60s id say too. Serial number and check out Nkilgrist's site for Freddie Grubb or holdsworthy. Holdsworthy bought Freddie Grubb in the early 50s after he died.

Simon

Re:

The Company that bought the Freddie Grubb name was HoldsworthY, importers and wholesalers to the cycle trade. They made decent good value frames mainly to standard designs. I think this one was plain gauge 531 and retailed about £10, when a butted 531 Nrevex lug frame would go from £12 up.

I sold a lot of these in the 1950s /60s.

Keith

Keith, what were the colours you could get them in and any other information on the bike would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jamie

Re:

Jamie,

Memory not too good on colours, it was 55 years ago. I might remember later, instant recall now takes about an hour.

With the recent popularity of cycling it is hard to understand how small the market was in the 60s. As a one man business in Bristol I had the largest retail account with Holdsworthy in the south of england. They imported Campagnolo, Fiamme, Cinelli bars and stems, tubular tyres etc.

Keith

Hi Hamcob, its a 1963-4 Comet dual purpose frame. Track use and short distances. Available in any colour. The National cycle library have pdf files of catalogues you can download. Only black and white unfortunately. What are you thinking of doing with it? Paint looks original from your pictures.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I want to restore it back to original, but would like to know what colours I could go for trying to keep it as it was other than the blue.
I can source the decals, as I've said it's just a bit scruffy but all original as I can tell.
Would like to re paint it possibly in a darkish red with tan wall tyres on it, or make it look a bit more modern and looking to see if I can get 700c wheels in as there's quite a bit of clearance at the rear, but the front may be too tight.

Back