Gios experts - can you help

JSH

rBotM Winner
Hi
First post so hello all. I'm looking for some assistance with dating my new steed. I believe it is a Gios Super Record which was acquired by the previous owner as a frame in Brooklyn NY a few years back hanging on the wall of a café/diner. He thought it 1973 but from my limited research I'm thinking 79/80. I have included some pictures to help. I'm fairly new to the retro scene myself so any assistance would be welcomed The previous owner has sourced what I think are period correct parts apart from wheels which are NOS Mavic 501s and Gel330 sprint rims. All Super Record apart from the Inner ring I think

Attachments

• IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2326.JPG
    IMG_2326.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2332.JPG
    IMG_2332.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2327.JPG
    IMG_2327.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_2328.JPG
    IMG_2328.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 461
You should be able to contact Gios via there web site & they will tell you the year of the bike.
Did the guy you buy it from have it resprayed as the paint work looks NEW & did he also replace the coins.
The Gold fork coins I believe came after the Silver ones.
I recently got a friend of mine in Italy to contact Gios for some new Silver Coins for a rebuild i was doing but according to him Gios are now only supply supplying the Gold ones.

Re:

Hi
Thanks I have just emailed them. The frame was in this condition when he got it. It had been hanging on a wall in a restaurant so I don't know whether it had been renovated or was just unused. I'm assuming renovated.

It does have the Campagnolo 1010B Portacanta rear dropout (not that that dates the frame) I'm not sure how long Campagnolo made them, according to Classic Lightweights http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... -comp.html they were introduced in 1977
This is worth reading about the portacanta as well.
http://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... whose.html
let us know haw you get on with your enquiries with GIOS
Sorry I can't be of any more help but i'm sure someone on here will have a lot more knowledge about GIOS than I do.

Re:

According to Marco Gios "It is a super record from 1980 with no doubt." which is good enough for me. He did point out however that the Brooklyn fork decals should not be there as the frame is later than the Brooklyn association. Maybe not one for the purists but it is a lovely thing

Back