La Querée Brothers Restoration, step 1) So many Questions!

mrpenguin

Dirt Disciple
Hello! I'm sort of new-- but I'm a long-time lurker.

I may have stumbled upon a Queree Brothers Frame, from an unknown epoch. It was pretty well covered (Covered!) in rust when i got it, and after after some extreme sleuthing down at bikeforums dot net, we surmised that it was a La Queree, based on the remains of the label (start with "La", with an é, and with a smaller "B" down below), and the Nervex lugs code.

So, my question is: Can anybody confirm its La Querée, or shed any more details on the approximate ages? And do any of the Queree fans and former owners have pictures of a similar label, so that I can have one made up and restore it with them?

Also, any ideas what sort of components it would have come with? When i got it, it had a circa late 60s Campy Record Front Derailleur attached, but nothing else. I'm trying to rebuild it somewhat correctly, but I also like 175mm crank arms, and in 60s campy, thems is expensive! I'd happily do a stronglight or other equivalent; velobase has been good to get eras, but I'd like to know a rough "quality comparison", if there is one.

Any other la queree info (I've seen the classic lightweights site) or pictures would be luverly. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• queree label.jpg
    queree label.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • queree frame.jpg
    queree frame.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,131
Re:

Don't know anything that isn't on Classic Lightweights I'm afraid. I see no reason to doubt what you have learnt - they shut up in 1971 so that's as late as it can be. It's a good find for sure!

Re:

Is there a frame number and same number on the forks? What's the nerves lug code? Nice looking frame.

Simon

Re:

La Queree was the mark or name of the company, Queree Brothers built them
I had one in mid 1950s with the name brazed on in large brass letters either side of the top tube.

Nice frame, Nervex pro etc.

This one could be about 1960.

Cant do the acute.

Keith

Thanks Keith--it was actually finding this post via google that brought me here to ask the question in the first place! I'm a little surprised that such a seeming well-loved brand, no matter how small, has so few internet-index pages. "GasPipeWarrior" also has commeted on some Queree lurv, making this the far-and-away Queree leader ;-)

Simon:
The Nervex Lug Code is: 59^3064^022<2>e38
(the "^" are degree signs, and the <2> represents a sub-script, which I don't know how to type here)
According to other folk, this means that The BB shell appears to be a Ref. 3103A, and

Angle B = 59°30' (Down tube angle to seat tube)
Angle C = 64° (Seat tube angle to chainstays)
Bore A2 = 22.2mm or 7/8" (Chainstay diameter)
Center to Center Chainstay Spacing = 38mm

there is also a "136" as a serial number on the drive-side of the bottom bracket, and also a solitary "1" (or maybe an "I") on the non-drive side. I don't see any stamps or codes for the fork though-- where should I be looking?

and Thanks for the V-CC info-- I'll ask them if there is a similar logo.

keithglos":2o4h68l7 said:
Just came across this:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=256512

Keith

Re:

If you take the fork out. Mind the bearings! :) It could have the same number on the fork stem tube.
The V-CC are a funny lot, Penguin. You have to join the V-CC, £22 but info really good. Some get abit upset if non members lol.

Simon

Re:

Also what bottom bracket and headset have you got? Any makers name or on them? Could help knowing its age.

Simon

Re: Re:

I'll check the fork's serial numbers at a later date ;-)
The BB I got with it was a TDC (Thomas D Cross); not sure about the headset (I see no markings on it), though it seems distinctive insofar as the threaded race at the top has no wrench-spaces; it is just smooth with a knurdled area to tighten it by hand, if that makes sense (It still has a threaded hex-lockring as usual, but does not match the TDC headset on velobase)
Also, under the BB there was a metal sleeve, cut from "Bird Household Lubricant" acting as a BB bearing shield within the shell. Google implies it was from a company, "Oily Bird" which was active in the 60s.
Thanks again, sent a message to V-cc, we'll see what they say!

COUPES":x7gwqw9h said:
Also what bottom bracket and headset have you got? Any makers name or on them? Could help knowing its age.

Simon

Latest posts

Back