Do you use a heart rate monitor?

half cog

Senior Retro Guru
Hi.
Any of you chaps use a heart rate monitor?They seem to go from very very cheap( possibly useless) to quite expensive.not looking to pay a fortune but looking for something that is reliable. Any help appreciated.
many thanks
Peter

Yes, I find it really useful for pacing on longer rides and also for training.
Go for one with a digital link between transmitter and receiver, they are more reliable at rejecting interference. Polar are decent.

I use a Sigma, not expensive and reliable. Probably I'd get one that tracked average heart rate which can be useful for fitness assessment.

I use Garmin 500 for every ride since my 'issues' january last year as i now have to ride with a 'rev limiter'. Can thoroughly recommend it as a ride tracker, strava uploader and real time hear rate monitor. The uploaded data is also useful to see where your overdoing it or can afford to push little harder on your regular rides. Not cheap at around £100 but you get what you pay for. Mounts are simple. Chest straps are easy to source and fairly reliable (on my second strap but chest sensor unit itself fine)

Thanks for the replies.With you saying you had problems last January I can appreciate that you will require something of the quality of garmin .As yet we have no problems but as we are both on the edge of 70 and tandem around the hills of the Yorkshire Dales this is more of a precaution.Also to carry on doing this I feel we need to take our fitness more seriously so it is both for training and monitoring.So. Sigma, polar or garmin. I should be able to sort something out from there.Thanks again
All the best
Peter

Re:

I have 2, use them for all training bar swimming in pools

#1 is an older Polar Accurex NV+ - from 1995! Still going, has had 3 batteries in the watch, and on 3rd strap unit (Battery is not replaceable). Can be downloaded if the PC you have still has a 9 pin interface... Very good for read back for up to 10 files and 16+ hours when reading every 15secs (Can be varied between 5 and 30) and setting zones and audible zone alarm. At last service Polar was unable to find a seal for it worldwide, so is now water/sweat protected by use of clear bath sealant... Love it. Simple, easy to use yet functions I've not used in 20 years. Was expensive at the time, has paid me back.

#2 is a newer Timex model, has similar features, but can only record one file at a time. Also gives calorific burn, which is handy. I now use this one for triathlons as the Polar isn't hugely water proof any more... Was under £100.

Also had a ££25 Decathlon one some years back - it lasted about 3 or 4 years, the strap broke and is not replaceable - moulded in one peiece... Did the basics - HR zones / alarms / calories burnt, Was good while it lasted.

At 50+ I use these and HR zones as well as feel when training and pace myself accordingly.

Cheers for that.Was looking at the polar customer feedback on I think it was amazon and they seem to be having problems.Far too many people saying they ran a couple of weeks and packed in. It may be that polar have changed manufacturers but if they have they have not done themselves any favours.Will have a look at timex.Re your polar.If you go into your local motor factors you can get something called liquid gasket.Its a blue silicone type stuff in a smallish tube.Designed for use on its own as a sealing gasket for engine water pumps e.t.c. I do the wifes watch with it when the battery needs changing.She leaves it on in the bath and there are no problems at all with it. Keep the tube well capped and it seems to last for years. Thanks for the reply
Peter

Cheers - that may be handy as the ordinary clear sealant does seem to peel away quite quickly.

Neither of mine are on sale anymore, and Timex ones seem to have mixed reviews too, but I've been very happy with both

Re:

I've had a Sigma "Watch Type" heart rate monitor for 5-6 yrs and it's been very reliable.
The watch unit (which can be mounted on the handlebars with a provided mount) seems to communicate well with the chest strap and provides other data on the screen along with your heart rate.
I think I paid about £50-£60 in an online bike retailers sale.
A good reasonably priced option to monitor your heart rate.

One really important thing is to have a user replaceable battery on both the watch and the chest strap. It's a real pain in the derrierre to have to send the whole thing away to get a change. A lot of the battery replacement services either get it wrong or simply won't do it.

Re:

Had older Polar ones for years - never any issues, but battery replacement was a send it back job. They were quite large with a rigid part extending either side, so did feel a bit sweaty. You knew it was there.
Wahoo Tikr. These are good, strap is nice, unit is small, light and has flashing lights! Bluetooth and ANT+ so you can use them with smart phones etc.
Garmin. Strap seems high quality if a bit more rigid than the Tikr. Monitor itself seems reliable so far. Garmin is more compact. I don't notice either once they are on. Both of these have poppers to attach the monitor, so the strap can be lobbed in the washing machine on a cool wash from time to time. Don't leave it hanging on the bars of your bike in the shed on a frosty night. If you do, You will find out why it's called a Wahoo when you put it on.
Both have user replaceable coin cell batteries, the Garmin has 4 tiny screws to remove, the Tikr a round battery cover which can be opened with a 2p coin or similar.
Hope this is of use.

Back