advice for a road bike noob, please

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, I'm a retro mountain biker and this is my first time posting here in the road section. As such, I'm a road bike noob, having never ridden a road bike and knowing nothing much about them except they're better for rides on the road, and that I would like to have one in my collection.

What I'm after are suggestions about where to start. Based on what I like in the way of mountain bikes, I imagine myself riding a 90s steel road bike, nothing flashy, maybe in the ballpark of 100 to 150 pounds. I'm 6'3", and would nomally ride a mtb in the region of 20-22" centre to centre (or XL), again, any suggestions about the road frame size I'd need to think about would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I'll second that for sizing.

Often old Dawes bikes come up for sale with large frames. Anything with 531 or 653 tubing would make a great starting point.

Back