A modern Reynolds 753?

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
can anyone tell me what would be a similar modern equivalent of 753? i'm not bothered about the microscopic ingredients of the tubing, more to do with the weight and ride it gives.

i'm going to get a new frame built soon but i'd like it lighter than the lovely old eddy SLX and built in an 80s style ie with cast lugs etc and some chrome.

i've been recommended 725 but from what i can see from the reynolds site it looks like a bit of a gas pipe tube set.

any thoughts?

thanks.

853 ?

I'm sure it can be lugged and chromed .... 753 was never meant to be chromed lol

Shaun

Just thinking, can't some of the new stainless tubes be polished to I look like chrome?

Shaun

Midlife":fdcsft5v said:
Just thinking, can't some of the new stainless tubes be polished to I look like chrome?

Shaun

I'd probably go with this suggestion.

931 is the one I'd go for as it's easier to build with and the builder of your choice should be able to do a lugged frame without too much difficulty.

Polished finish instead of chroming will keep both weight and cost down.

Pipedream-931-2.jpg

Would make a lovely homage. :cool:

rusty bodie":kl4z37yu said:
i've been recommended 725 but from what i can see from the reynolds site it looks like a bit of a gas pipe tube set.

I'm not sure where you get the idea of gaspipe. It's a heat treated set just like 753, in fact it has slightly better stiffness. It seems to be available in the same (or thinner) walls as classic 753.

Of course 853 etc are even stronger, but 725 is a great tubeset...and it can be welded.

It won't be any lighter than your SLX frame.
My lugged Bob Jackson 853 frame weighs exactly the same as my Merckx Corsa Extra in SLX! (2.1kg - 54.5 and 55cm frames)..
If you get a lugless / welded frame it will be lighter by about 250grams.

Columbus do their Spirit tubeset in a version for lugs. This is (probably) the nicest steel tubing available before stepping up to stainless. Columbus also do XCR for lugs.

Re:

I would have a chat with your favoured framebuilder. I have spoken to two good builders and neither of them were enthusiastic about the Reynolds stainless tubes.

It may be to far to travel, but Bespoked Bristol is only a few weeks away, and both Reynolds and Columbus will be there, as well as one or two framebuilders.

Re:

i can't find a damned bit of evidence to support my worries that 725 is shyte, but doesn't the table on page 3 of the reynolds document make you think that it's only a step away from shopping trolley material?!

http://reynoldstechnology.biz/assets/pd ... xtract.pdf

i'm getting confused with all this overloading of what should be simple information. "in my day" it was as simple as this:

vs.

there's your tube/ there's the weight/ and KA-CHINNNGG!! there's the price!! :shock:

when i scour the reynolds site, i need a degree in chemistry to understand the information tables and not a single mention of the tube set weights!! what rider in their right mind gives a toss about "bainitic microstructure" or "martensitic-aging "??! it would seem that reynolds have completely forgotten that "joe average, the bike rider" is the one who's interested in their tube sets and not sigmund freud!!

:x

does anyone out there have evidence of the weight of the current reynolds range of tube sets?

:?

Back