Vitus 979 MK1 owners....help please

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Currently confused. It has become apparent that my MK1 979 has a slimmer seat tube, or should I say the seat post lug is thinner than the claimed 25.0mm.

Mine measures 24.0mm without the binder bolt attached. The 25.0mm seat post i have doesn't fit. Looking here it is stated in the literature that it's 25.0mm which was my understanding from the start http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/vitus/ ... re%203.pdf

However on here http://www.raydobbins.com/ebay/bike-vit ... ebsite.htm he states it's a proprietary 23.0mm (appreciated his is a carbone 9).

Anyone able to confirm whether it is absolutely 100% 25.0 or are there (perhaps) earlier 979 frames made with 23.0.

All 3 of the Vitus carbon Frames i have are all 23mm seat post.
The 3 Vitus 979 i have including an early version are all 25mm.
maybe the seat lug has been over tightened & needs to be opened up thats why you can't get your 25mm seat post to fit? Also I would try some other 25 mm posts as they can become mis-shapen.

Re:

Thanks for the response. Seat lug doesn't appear to be compressed, there's a 3mm gap without the binder bolt in place. It's a NOS Rubis post.
Literally just collected a MK2 979, with seatpost and that fits my MK1 frame, thus the damn Rubis is the issue. Think I'll put it in the freezer and let it contract a fraction, liberally grease it and then install to the correct height. just hope I don't need to remove it in the future, could be an issue?!

I would get the seat post checked to make sure its 25mm & 100% round as quite often they vary in diameter, my bet is that it's & oval not round?
Again I would adjust the rubis to fit the frame or use another seat post rather than do what your suggesting, because to me that dose not sound like a very good solution, but thats just my opinion.

Re:

Turns out the post is 25.34 with a pair of borrowed electronic calipers. Difficult to tell for sure - seems perfectly cylindrical in truth. Fits better on the MK2 frame, reckon I can get it to fit far more easily than the MK1 frame. Looks like i'm on for a waiting game for a Campag 25.0 for the MK1 frame :facepalm:

Re:

When did they introduce the SR seatpost with the single bolt - non fluted? I've seen it listed as 1982, not sure if it was still the 2-bolt post in '82.

Cheers for the links.

Post is in on the MK2 frame, Reydel saddle attached :D

Re:

Was the SR single bolt not fluted? The Record 2 bolt was plain polished from the seventies...

Re: Re:

FINNEY1973":3d90457j said:
Think I'll put it in the freezer and let it contract a fraction, liberally grease it and then install to the correct height. just hope I don't need to remove it in the future, could be an issue?!
Get the right sized pin, freeze fitting isn't something to just do at a whim. You *could* split the lug. Or do other unseen damage.

When we do it we have to calculate hoop and compressive stresses/strains, at all extremes of temperature, tolerance and load to make sure that a) it'll hold through the full range of loads and temperatures and b) nothing will split or crack through that full range. Then the design is tweaked, just to make sure.

Just cooling it down and belting it in with a hammer ain't going to be pretty (potentially).

Back