Saba bb removal

themadscotsman

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone, just joined the forum this evening.
I have a Saba frame and forks which I've been trying to find out more about and I've discovered a lot so far from this forum so thanks.
Recently I have tried to remove the bottom bracket so I can begin restoring it but the thing won't budge. I don't think the bb is original as it has internal splines on the ends, Ive tried turning in both directions but to no avail, the only thing that gave was the removal tool which is now bent peculiarly from the force. Can anyone suggest anything which may help?
The bb is ok but I would like to remove it to do a proper respray.

Andrew

Hi Andrew, the stuck BB renders the saba frame useless, I'll take it off your hands :)

Its Italian thread so right handed thread both sides. Best thing to do is drop it into your local bike shop and they will remove it for way less than the cost of any tools. Also if you are having it professionally resprayed then they can remove and install the BB for you.

Lovely frames :). I've always wanted one ....... What colour are you going for?

Shaun

Re:

The frame is far from useless and I have no plans to dispose of it. The bb may come out with heat applied to the bb shell advised my lbs but whether it would damage the frame is the question. As for a colour I'm not yet sure if I should try for an original colour or one of my own liking.

Note to self to turn off humour :)

Personally I'd leave it to the LBS or refinisher to remove as mentioned. Road SABA's BITD were usually metallic red or a very nice metallic gold colour. We always wondered who made them as they were imported by IRB but Viner were the front runners :)

My SABA collection so far is a SABA panto'd stem and a set of top tube cable clips .............one day I'll find a frame that's not in Hilary Stone's for sale collection.

Shaun

Mine was originally light metallic blue before I repainted it not realising how old it was, I got it off a mate in 2001 and was using it as a winter trainer for a few years before I bought my new race bike which made my old race bike the new winter trainer. The Saba was then confined to the cellar where it remains. I think it is old enough to be entered in L' Eroica if I find enough retro components to build it to period specs.

I guess it has "little man winning" cut into the lugs, bottom bracket and the top of the fork crown with SABA on the seat stays. I guess you can feel the jealousy lol

The rear dropout with the mech hanger should have two little holes in it, that dates it to about 1978 to 1983. Very definitely l'eroica :)

Any pics for me to drool over?

Shaun

Not at present, could take a few pics though. Its currently a bitsa bike which I put together for the wife as a her first racing bike before she bought herself a new one.

Back