Wheels for Sun Snipe

thebobajob

Devout Dirtbag
The wheels I have taken off my Sun Snipe are a rear wheel which is a Rigida Chromage Superchromix and an unbranded front wheel with patterned rims. Both are in fairly good condition but clearly don't match.

I have two wheels taken off a Puch Alpine. The rear is in shocking condition with the top layer peeling off. The front appeared to be in fairly good condition and is a Rigida Chrolux Chromage Superieur. I have just prised off the old tyre as it was rusted on and there is a fair amount of rust on the inside of the rim - the outside is not too bad.

I was going to make a pair out of the two Rigida rims (even though they are not exactly the same) but I don't know how risky it is using the rusty one even if I clean it up. Can I check the integrity of it in any way?

Should I just buy 2 new wheels which may possibly be lighter anyway?

Re:

If the rim is really rusty then I would be cautious. Spoke holes ok? What size wheels have you got?

Re:

The holes look OK but some of the rust looks to be quite deep and the tyre was really welded on in some places.

They are 27 x 1 1/4 rims.

Just found some new Weinmann rims and some new Rigida ones for around £45 which seems a good deal, What would the bike have come with originally, do you know? Would it have been the Rigida?

Thanks
Bob

Re:

Dunlop special lightweight, Weinmann or rigida possibly Bob. What hole are the hubs you have? What year is you Sun Snipe?

Re: Re:

COUPES":mr0igsda said:
Dunlop special lightweight, Weinmann or rigida possibly Bob. What hole are the hubs you have? What year is you Sun Snipe?

36 spoke (is that what you mean). Snipe is 1970 I think.

Re:

I would go for Weinmann rims personally, Bob. Lighter and you could polish the alloy. New rims are anodized I think but easy to remove the anodizing with oven cleaner. I've got weinmann's but 32/40 hole rims.

Simon

Re:

If you buy new wheels just check the hub size will be ok for your forks and rear drop outs. Made that mistake :)

Re: Re:

COUPES":3dh7yl2v said:
If you buy new wheels just check the hub size will be ok for your forks and rear drop outs

Did you find any new wheels with older smaller hubs? I have what looks like 98mm spacing at front and 125/126mm spacing at rear. Can't find anything new to fit this.

Re:

Back in the 60s I used to buy Weinmann alloy 27 x 1 1/4 alloy rims in crate lots, 25 pairs.

Keith

Whatever you buy I'd always get alloy, steel plus rain equals nil braking ! Back in the 70's it was difficult to escape from Weinmann rims.

Shaun

Back