Monplaner tappered dombed nut?

stick75

Retro Newbie
I've a beautiful old Ciocc bike which I do duathalons on and have been looking for somewhere I can get hold
of a tapered nut and washer for my monaplaner breaks. Have seen some on eBay but couldn't believe the price!
Was just wondering if someone new of elsewhere or had one they'd sell.
Attached a pic of my brakes also my machine

Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 905
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 905
You're faced with a tough one - it is a problem common to all first generation Chorus monoplanar calipers. I've had mine since 1988 and they look only marginally better than your brakes, thanks to rigorous cleaning etc. I'm still happy with mine but have often thought of getting an extra set of calipers for parts use. There's a set on Ebay -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Ch ... 1c4e5ffa26

that's not too expensive. The nuts look awful but left to soak in some WD40 (or similar) they could probably come up quite nice, after some serious "elbow grease" polishing :D

Nice work if you can get it....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The more I look in to it the more it seams that that it wont be an easy fix.
I'm going to have a look at getting some made, I'm in engineering so going to
draw one up and get a price. There not the easiest things to manufacture though.

Re:

I might be missing something here, not having any engineering knowledge, but could you actually get these tapered nuts made up for much less than the £40 all in that those Veloce Calipers would cost you?

Just wondering?

Steve.

Re:

Material would be pennies, but it's the sort of item that
you could get 2 made, but it wouldnt cost that much more
to have 10.
This day and age though you'd have thought someone
would be making replicas.

Re:

If you did get some made up I guarantee that you would be able to sell them and make some money on them. Loads of people have this problem and I suspect they would love to get a new set of nuts.....

Myself included.....

I mean who doesn't like a nice pair of shiny nuts

Re:

I'm actually missing the rear nut, it fell off years
ago on a ride. Didn't think much of it at the time.
If I get a few made might advertise them on here with
money donations going to this site.

Will keep everyone posted.

Hi

Just wondering if you've got any further towards solving your lock nut problem? If not, I've just come across this on ebay, as I'm looking for odd bits & pieces for monoplanar brake calipers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221704782125? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Might be worth a try if price not too high

Cheers

Back