Raleigh 531c Race restoration

Roba

Retro Newbie
Hi am just about to start looking at restoring this, been stored badly for a while and got flooded which hasn't helped!

Any tips pointers on bits worth upgrading/replacing and any issues with new parts sizes would be welcome

Am going to start by stripping it down and cleaning what i have to see whats salvageable, am really new to this so tips welcome, used to love riding this.

Mavic rims and hubs look in a bad way, rest seems to be a mix of shimano and campagnolo bits

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 901
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 901
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 901
How about slapping a whole new modern groupset on there? If not you'll probably find most of the old stuff is salvageable if you take the time to disassemble, clean and regrease it, then just look on here and ebay etc for any parts that need replacement.

Re:

Cheers

Would I have much trouble getting a complete modern group set to fit? bit out of the loop on modern parts

Not much has changed! Rear spacing is slightly wider but won't be a problem, as long as you get a british bottom bracket it'll fit, you can get adjusters that replace the down tube shifters, will work a treat. Here's a retro mod build.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 875
Re:

Cool thanks, that looks lovely not sure I will get that finish

Will try and source some new wheels and a chain and get it going if I still get the same smile I used to will decide how much to spend on restoring/modernising

Re:

Just out of interest when you upgraded did you keep the same speed or fit a bigger cassette/freewheel

Mines got a 7 speed on it at the moment but I noticed a lot of newer wheelsets have gone larger

10 or 11 is standard on modern stuff, it won't mix with the old 7 speed stuff as the shifters are indexed to the rear cassette. You can friction shift 10 or 11 speed though, so you could keep majority of your components just slip in new wheels, chain and cassette. Best of both worlds really.

Re:

Cheers Andy, bit out of touch haven't looked at bike parts since I last rode this, which was a long time ago!

Started cleaning it up today, most of it looks ok once you get the crud off

Small crack in the frame at the top of the seat tube though :( turns out it got bit abused since I last had it

Back