Mercian and others sale - Could I have some guidance please?

fastpedaller

Dirt Disciple
Hello all, I have an elderly friend who lives over 100 miles away and asked me to sell his 8 bikes when he departed to the great road! Thankfully he has now asked me to assist him earlier :D , so that he can enjoy some holidays from the proceeds, and I am happy to assist him. He has 2 Mercians, 2 Holdsworths, 3 Hetchins, and 1 Wester Ross. All were resprayed and rebuilt about 20 years ago or so, some have subsequently had VERY minimal miles, but most haven't been used since and are therefore pristine (apart from some tyre decay and a little oil needed). I don't really know how to go about advertising them, as all he has sent me is some (in the main) very poor film photos due to his failing sight. If anyone has any interest in specific makes I am visiting him on 6th March and will take requested photos in addition to general ones. My intention is to advertise them on a cash on collection basis for the purchaser to collect directly from him. To give you an indication of what to expect, I (shall try to)attach a scan of one of the best photos of a Mercian.

Attachments

• Mercian.jpg
    Mercian.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 476
Judging on the size of this I would be interested in seeing more on the Wester Ross.

Jamie

Re:

When selling a bike always list the following .
Frame size.
Make of components .
wheel size .
overall condition .
The names you have quoted are top end and sought after with a ready market .
If you are new to e bay be sure you understand how it works . You will have to pack the bike up in a bike box if you use this route and costs will be incurred. Also a lot of questions from potential buyers.

You can post pictures on the what's it worth section of this fourm . I am sure member will give you some ideas
Also you can search on ebay to see what similar bike have sold for

The more pictures the better .

Re:

I think bagpuss has it pretty much covered, but from a measurement point of view, measure from the centre of the crank to both the centre of the top tube (or at least where it would be if it passed through the seat tube), and to the top of the seat tube Then from the centre of the seat tube to the centre of the head tube. Some people may like the length of the head tube as well.

All of those bikes will find ready buyers and depending on the models the Hetchins could kick up interest from the collectors.

I shall be keeping an eye open myself :mrgreen:

fastpedaller":cwf023g0 said:
Hello all, I have an elderly friend who lives over 100 miles away and asked me to sell his 8 bikes when he departed to the great road! Thankfully he has now asked me to assist him earlier :D , so that he can enjoy some holidays from the proceeds, and I am happy to assist him. He has 2 Mercians, 2 Holdsworths, 3 Hetchins, and 1 Wester Ross. All were resprayed and rebuilt about 20 years ago or so, some have subsequently had VERY minimal miles, but most haven't been used since and are therefore pristine (apart from some tyre decay and a little oil needed). I don't really know how to go about advertising them, as all he has sent me is some (in the main) very poor film photos due to his failing sight. If anyone has any interest in specific makes I am visiting him on 6th March and will take requested photos in addition to general ones. My intention is to advertise them on a cash on collection basis for the purchaser to collect directly from him. To give you an indication of what to expect, I (shall try to)attach a scan of one of the best photos of a Mercian.

just take as many pics of each as possible along with measurements because somebody will always ask for that different one .

where are bikes and seller based roughly as if local to myself i would be happy to help if i could

either way sounds a nice collection

Thanks for help gents. The bikes are based in Essex. I'm visiting on 7th March, so I'll make up a spreadsheet with all the critical dimensions and features on, so that I can just put the facts in as I also take photos - with 8 bikes to contend with it will be easy to get myself confused (let alone my 87 year old pal!) I shall also bring back home (norfolk) several boxes of parts to list on ebay. I've opened up an Ebay account in his id (to keep it all separate from anything of mine) and one thing I didn't anticipate is the £650 limit on a new user for monthly sales. I suspect many of the individual bikes are worth more than that. I do appreciate that ebay gives huge exposure to the market place, so is probably the best media to use. Because of his age he would find it difficult to package the bikes, and I hope buyers will prefer cash on collection.

Back