question bout a harry hall

tronlawong

Retro Newbie
Question; Picked up this harry hall today and in the prosses of making it pretty again but was wonderin if anybody could give me a year? been into old road bikes for a few years and have owned a few and was told its early 70s but id say early 80s. its got the reynolds 531c butted tubing a 'H Hall' stamp on the top of each side of the forks which iv never seen on a harry before. any info would be very much apriciated. thanks

do the portacaten droputs have have screws goin through the rear to line the wheel up? if so then yes its got then. ill try and get some pics up soon, as my laptop stops bein a t**t. any info on the 'H Hall' stamps on the forks?

Portacatena dropouts have tiny holes to hold a small chain holder, they were not available in the early 70's so would rule that date out. The fork panto trend was rare in the early 70's. Early 70's cables would go over the bottom bracket, also early 70's frames had very little in the way of braze on fittings.

As a child of the 70's pics would be nice :)

Shaun

ill keep tryin to get the pics. theres a little hole underneath the right dropout to hold a derelieur its part of the frame and the cables go underneath the bb through one of those black things they have on modern bikes. the gear shifters are on the tube thats underneath the toptube like oldie style

I think 531c was introduced in the early 80s. As Shaun said: Other things that would help pin it down are: (a) does it have brazed-on bosses for the downtube gear levers?; (b) do the gear cables go under or over the bottom bracket?; (c) do the brake calipers have a recessed allen bolt or a normal nut holding them on?; (d) does it have three brazed on guides on the top tube for the rear brake cable, or does it use clips?

Yes for (a), and the first options for (b)--(d) all suggest 80s.

Pictures needed, really. I think people have had trouble getting any detailed info out of Harry Hall's, even armed with a frame number, but I've never tried myself.

Nick

If you are still having problems with the pics I'll try and post them if you send them to me on shaunwhitehead@aol.com.

Back in my time Harry seemed to spend his whole life hanging out if the side window of his Harry Hall car following the pack with spare wheels and spanners. His bikes were seen under world champ riders etc. :)

Shaun

this isnt my night seem to havin trouble with the email. i'll try the retrobike page on facebook i'll try postin them on their now

Not on the facebook page.......Oh well.
Someone might repost so I can see a fine HH.
Jamie

Back