Stuck Stem - opinions sought

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
Covered many times I know but.....

Have a Vitus 979 that's been in a bike box for a year, finally decided to do something with it. It's completely unmolested, super colour etc so in that regard it's a winner.

You know where i'm going with this....the stem is stuck. Cinelli 1R in mint condition and Campag SR headset again in like new condition. Expander wedge is free, rattling around inside the fork steerer.

Plusgas done, wooden block & hammer done. Entry from the fork crown is limited, the hole is small in comparison to a steel steerer.

Mindful of the fact it's a bonded tube i'm loathed to go too far with the wheel between legs / twist via handlebars routine.

Left with cutting the stem unless somebody here has a possible solution I haven't considered?

Thoughts or advice very welcome....
Cheers

Do you need to move it ? If not then its cutting it off, removing the fork from the frame and taking it from there.

As you mention the fork might give way first if you use a lot of force :)

Shaun

I played the long game by leaving 3in1 / wd40 mix in for weeks, topping it up now and again. Road forks are easily bent out of kilter and patience is the only solution. I eventually got a stem out but it was still with a wheel in and lifting upwards whilst twisting. It took two peopleand a lot of puff

Re:

I don't 'need' to change it per say, however I'm planning on a team bike copy (not KAS) and therefore the plan was to change the headset for the purposes of having the correct groupset. I agreed with myself wholeheartedly that this was the way to go :D In hindsight and at some expense collecting the groupset, it has proven to be the wrong way to go, though I hadn't realised the stem had become one with the fork!

I'm happy to play the waiting game and keep it topped up with penetrating oil - brute force in this instance is perhaps too much for a bonded ali frame?

But am I wasting my time hoping that penetrating oil will work? The thought of trashing a mint original stem does not please me!

Re:

this has worked for me on several occasions.
flip bike upside down.
put a long socket extension in bottom of steer tube.
drive it out with a hammer.

With the socket extension against the inside of the 'top' of the stem? That's certainly worth a go - if I can find something long enough. If not I'll raid the workshop at work :LOL:

expander isn't stuck, that's rattling around in the bottom of steerer - may be able to navigate around it? haven't tried as yet.

It's really hard on 1" stems. On mtb 's there's sometimes enough room to use an old steel handlebar to knock a stem out. But that wedge will be a pain

Agreed, the size of the entrance under the crown leaves minimal room for manouvre. A dose of patience & a measured approach required - if I have to cut the stem then so be it, as long as the rest survives. soaking it in penetrating oil overnight, I'll have another go tomorrow evening.

Back