Cilo, Lotus (gone) ,Raleigh (gone) or Geoff Wiles

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I've recently managed to acquire two road bikes and can only justify keeping one. I'm obviously going to ride them both and see how I get on but this willbe my first road bike 'keeper' for many years so I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any useful tips.

The blue one is an unknown Columbus Aelle frame which was identified on another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=311748) as probably a Cilo. The main attraction is the frame, and if I'm honest, the label. On the downside the parts are pretty shoddy (Eg low end late 80s MTB thumb shifters) and the bike is generally very tatty. I guess in time I'd improve it but it takes me ages to get round to anything. I have got it running (this week) by replacing the freehub and various tweaks and I'd swap the saddle and post (longer).

Also this week, I've taken delivery of a Lotus Challenger SX. http://vintagelotusbicycles.com/site/mo ... te_SX.html It weighs about the same. The frame is Tange 900/1000 so low end tange vs low end Columbus - probably similar quality (?) butted cromo. The geometry is slightly more relaxed I think. On the plus side it's very nicely finished and original. Nothing high end but still decent.

They both ride very nicely, the main difference being the handlebars but I could put drops on the Cilo.

In terms of sale value I reckon there's not much in it but if that's wildly wrong it could be a factor.

I love these retrobike 'problems'! :D I know which way I'm swinging but what do you think?

DSC_3954-1_zpscdc01cd3.jpg

DSC_3951-1_zps8981ff85.jpg

DSC_3955-1_zpsa29ba5ab.jpg

Re: Which to keep: Cilo or Lotus?

Cilo :). It has shot in seat stays. The lotus will spear your gentleman's vegetables after a sharp stop !!

Shaun

Re:

And then there were three.......

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYdNlnfpjg[/youtube]

Sell the Raleigh (it will be the most disappointing to ride) and use the money to restore the other two. The blue Cilo has the more interesting looking frame but the picture makes the forks look bent backwards a wee bit.

I'd sell all of them and keep the album...

Back