raleigh nova sport 1970's

coreytindall1

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I am currently in the process of restoring a 1970's raleigh nova sport and converting it into a road bike. I am trying to keep as many of the original parts as I can.

Has anybody done any projects with these bikes before? Is there anything I should be aware of?

I'll post the finished photos of the bike as soon as. :)

Also does anybody know the exact year of which it was made in?

Attachments

• IMG_15229813931893.jpeg
    IMG_15229813931893.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 2,298
Under the bottom bracket there will be a long number starting with 2 letters. The third is a number and that's the last year of manufacture fir example 5 means 1975 or 1985, Raleigh let you guess the decade lol

shaun

Re:

Cheers man, have you done anything with one of these bikes? I've ordered chrome raleigh drop bars, seat and bar tape in matching brown, the original gear shifters, the original tyres, new crank arm. I have also removed the mudguard, reflectors, stand, cleaned the whole bike and removed any rust. It's now rust free.

I have recently been given a Nova 5 for a knockabout bike, although it's quite good condition. However I would like to turn it into a 10 speed Sport. Where would I buy replacement drop handlebars, and front changer from?

Back