Identify my frameset?

devon

Retro Newbie
JAOcATS.jpg

I bought a 'new' frameset from a jumble sale over the weekend, however I have no idea what it is. There are no serial numbers anywhere on the frame. I do believe that it is the original colour though as there are markings from where the Columbus(?) sticker once was and no colour under chips etc. The guy I bought it from owned this frame while living in France, so I assume it was manufactured/bought there. There was NOTHING attached to the frame in the way of headset, BB, bottle cage bolts, seat clamp bolt, brackets etc.

Here's what I know and/or was told:

• - 1970s (maybe?!)
    - French threaded BB (Stamped RGF)
    - Columbus SLX tubing (however the money exchanged makes me wonder)
    - Gipiemme stamped dropouts
    - VENETO branded chrome fork (Zeus?) - this may not be the original fork... Takes standard British threaded headset
    - One set of bottle cage bosses (downtube)
    - 27.2mm seatpost
    - 700c
    - No rack/mudguard mounts
    - Weights: Frame (naked): 1941g, Fork: 727g (~58cm frame)

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/aqB5r

The scalloped stay tops say Dawes to me, but I'm pretty sure Dawes never had those style lugs. They are much more 1990s Raleigh, but not quite pointy enough. Are they chromed underneath? Brazed-on shifter bosses says mid 80s or newer.

27.2 seatpost could well be SLX; or Reynolds 531 which is that size. The weight is about right.

I think you're right about the fork. The steerer is way too long for that head tube and I think it is a replacement.

That's a maybe on the chromed lugs. Hard to tell without removing the paint, but there are a few shiny scratched/chipped patches.

Shame it's not as old as I thought. Would you still say it's half-decent? I didn't pay much at all (£40) so not the end of the world!

Dawes and Raleigh wouldn't ave come with French threaded BB though?

Could the lack of a serial number suggest custom?

Certainly the seatpost size is well in keeping with SLX, or as mentioned also, 531. This with the chrome means it has to be more than a half decent machine and as long as it fits, it is well worth £40.
SLX has conical/spiralling reinforcing inside the ends of the main tubes so have a feel round up through the bottom bracket, or stick a piece of wire or such inside and see what you can feel.
Jamie

Re:

Just seen someone looking for info on a Gazelle on here. Is it a Gazelle also? Dutch Raleigh possibly? The lugs look similar and scooped tops of the seat stays could be a decider. £40 bargain with some good parts on it will be cool.

Re:

Just had a look on classic rendezvous site and hard to tell with French bikes. The tops of the seat stays could be the only thing to go on. Alot of frames have wrap over stays it seems.

Back