Seat Post Clamp Pin

+paul

Dirt Disciple
I'll post pictures of this issue later to help with clarity. I have a 1987 MB Dronfield frame and the lug with the seat post clamp has some distortion on one half of the seat clamp. I am concerned about achieving clamp force on the seat post without causing further damage, and I wondered about the options to sort it out. Do any of you have experience of the following possible solutions:
  • Having the frame repaired by a frame builder - remove and replace the seat post lug with the damaged clamp
  • Have the clamp filed off and replaced with a new clamp (again by a frame builder)
  • File the clamp off and use a seat post clamp as found on current bikes

The last option I could do at home. I am planning to get the frame resprayed at some point, and I will talk to the paint company before I do anything. The first option seems pretty severe, given the remaining options!

Your advice will help me come to a reasoned decision about what to do. In the meantime, I am sourcing a new seat clamp pin to replace the severely rusted one and will see how I get on with just clamping it up.

Re:

Seems a bit drastic if it is only one half of the seat clamp, this is steel, so why not have it heated, straightened and re shaped?

Maybe when I see a photo of it I might change my mind though :D

Re:

Ok, here are the pictures:
IMG_1330 by +paul, on Flickr

IMG_1329 by +paul, on Flickr

IMG_1328 by +paul, on Flickr

Seeing the pictures close up leads me to the following conclusions:
  • The damage is not so bad, so the suggestion from t47b to have it re-shaped and repaired may be OK
  • I am not sure if the seatpost is too small - look at the gap between the frame and the seatpost at the sides. Measuring with vernier calipers, it looks like the diameter is 27.1mm. Allowing for measurement errors, this may well mean it is a 27mm seatpost, and I guess the frame should have 27.2mm?

What do you think?

Midlife":vdv87kph said:
Have the framebuilder replace it with an allen key fixing :D Shaun
Good advice ;)

My seat clamp was knackered and cracked, so had a major op'.... From this:
bike004.jpg

To this, for just £15.
unknownbike3003.jpg

Re:

Certainly liking the look of that! I fitted a new bolt this evening, and I now get a decent clamp on the seat post (which is 27.2mm btw). I have a parcel waiting at the post office for me with the cables and chain. I should be riding it again by the end of the weekend. I'll aim to get the frame in for a respray by the summer, and discuss either repair if the seat clamp, or replacement with the Allen key fixing.

Back