Bontrager Road Lite Build Up !!!!!!!!!

ylwgto

Retro Guru
Just scored an awesome Bontrager Road Lite that I am going to build up…been looking for some time. SO STOKED!

Questions:

-I've seen 2 different iterations of the wishbone stays. The very elegant style, like my frame, and the style more typical to the MTB Race Lites (a simpler radiused wishbone). When were these designs made and what year do you think this frame is? It also has the slotless cable stops, pump peg and "old style" dropouts which suggest '95 or earlier??? Don't have the serial # yet, as it is still in transit to me.

-I'm under the impression that the frame is made from True Temper OX-III. Is that right?

-I'm on the prowl for an original Tange Sillhouette fork OR a modern threadless carbon fork (1", 40mm rake). If you have either available, PM me

Can't wait to build it up. I majorly regret selling my pewter '93 Race Lite I purchased from Keith in SC, but this will help ease the pain. Gonna go modern with this build, but the fork situation is a major hold up. Too bad ENVE does't make a 1" option.

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 975
Looks nice. How light is lite? :)

Do you think you'd notice the difference between a 43mm and 40mm raked fork? The Columbus minimal is a nice, light, fork available in 1" steerer but the rake is 45mm.

Another alternative would be to get a custom fork made by a frame builder. Bob Jackson will make a fork for £150 + paint. I know that Argos cycles will also make a fork, as I'm sure will every other decent framebuilder.

Not sure of frame weight, as I don't have it yet. Should be quite light as steel frames go due to the tubing and semi-sloping geometry.

I'd like to stay true to the original geometry specs. I once put a 43mm fork on a frame that needed a 50mm fork and it made it super twitchy…i wonder if putting a slightly longer rake on a frame designed for a short rake would be the opposite effect (i.e. dull the handling characteristics)? 40mm forks are quite difficult to come by.

I have reached out to a few frame builders here about making a steel fork (Steelman and Sadoff), but I'd still like to try to track down an original and a carbon alternative.

Thanks for the note and i'll follow up as the build progresses.

ylwgto":fuwmd3c5 said:
I'd like to stay true to the original geometry specs. I once put a 43mm fork on a frame that needed a 50mm fork and it made it super twitchy…i wonder if putting a slightly longer rake on a frame designed for a short rake would be the opposite effect .

Increasing the rake (so decreasing the trail) will make the bike more twitchy - not less.

Putting a 43mm fork on a frame designed for a 50mm fork should slow/deaden the steering! Unless of course the fork was shorter than the original which would contribute to the effect insomuch as changing head angle etc.

I'm very keen to see this built regardless. Road lites are very rare - I found one in my size for sale last year (the only one I've seen seen for sale) but didn't have the cash at the time (asking was £400+) and it went :(

Re:

Thanks for straightening me up...
What are your thoughts on using a 43mm rake fork where a 40mm is called for? 40mm are impossible to find.
Just scored a Bontrager titec carbon 26.8 post today. I'll post a pic once I have the fork sorted.
Thanks

Bontrager Road Lite project COMPLETED

I finally finished my Bontrager Road Lite project. It came out, in my opinion, very nice. I paint matched the fork, stem and post to go for that "module" modern look and it looks nice. It is about 17ish lbs, which is pretty amazing for a steel bike. The Look HSC 3 1" steerer full carbon fork with the proper 40mm rake took me 4 months to find!

I still need to take it out for a shake down ride, so pardon the bad chainline and sloppy cables in the pics. I cannot comment on how it rides yet, but I cannot wait.

Frame: Bontrager Road Lite (year unknown) size M
Fork: Look HSC 3 (custom painted to match frame)
Headset: Chris King NoThreadset
Shifters: Dura Ace 7900
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7900
Front Derailleur: Dura Ace 7900
Crankset: Dura Ace 7900 175, 53/39
Calipers: Dura Ace 7900
Bottom Bracket: Dura Ace 7900 external cup
Chain: Dura Ace HG 7900
Wheelset: Speedcific a.k.a. Kinlin XR300/Novatec with Wheelsmith stainless bladed spokes 20/24
Tires: Vittoria Corsa Evo CX
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 12-25
Stem: 3T Arc Team (custom painted to match frame)
Bars: Zipp Service Course SL
Post: Bontrager by Titec carbon (custom painted to match frame...also very hard to track down in 26.:cool:
Saddle: Specialized Romin Expert
Pedals: Look Keo blade
Cages: Zipp
Tape: Fizik
Cables/housing: Yokozuna

Attachments

• Bontrager Road Lite.jpg
    Bontrager Road Lite.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 858
Hi,
Its a long shot, but du you still have your Road Lite. I am in the market for one. So let me know if you could consider sale.
Jakob

Re:

Hi
Thanks for interest, but that one is not fire sale.
I do have a 57cm Springfield-era Indy Fab crown jewel I’ll be selling soon.
Thanks

Re: Re:

ylwgto":1xv93kx4 said:
Hi
Thanks for interest, but that one is not fire sale.
I do have a 57cm Springfield-era Indy Fab crown jewel I’ll be selling soon.
Thanks

Understandable

Back