Raleigh sueded handlebar tape (or equivalent)

Vino

Dirt Disciple
DSC09225.jpg

Hello,

A bit of a long shot... does anyone know where I can buy some of the above black bar tape? Failing that, any suggestions for a close modern equivalent?

It was supplied as standard with several 1984 Raleighs (Corsa, Record Sprint, Quasar, and more) and is described in the brochure as 'imitation suede'. It's a thin, plain tape - no markings, perforations, padding or adhesive. A quick google throws up the above picture, and some on eBay in blue, but none in black.

Thanks in advance,
Vino

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions - much appreciated.

Ian, I tried yer man from eBay, but no luck.

My LBS suggested the Fizik, though I'm not a fan of the perforations; and I think I've googled that SRAM before now. Cannondale's Synapse tape is the closest I've found so far, though it's a little thick/rougher.

Mr W, love your (very shiny) Team Corsa - mine's an '84 in 'oyster'. If I ever find anyone selling the Shimano gum hoods for sensible money, I'll let you know!

Thank you Vino!

I've found some Golden Arrow hoods, they are NOS and attached to the brake levers.. still debating if its really worth it as they'll only break down again, and there certainly won't be any more out there.

Think I'll go with the Dia Compe rubber ones, as they will last a lot longer and are much cheaper at £9 a set.

RoadKing on here has an '84 Corsa, albeit his has Shimano 600 ensemble, fitted from new I believe, plus it has what I think is Pearl White Benotto bar tape.

BITD I had that Raleigh suede tape on a Pulsar, and it only used to last a few months before it wore off, so maybe your best bet is to find an alternative (unless, of course you are going for a 'factory spec' build)

Get some pics up in a separate thread, everyone likes pics!

Back