'73 Holdsworth - gear cabling issues

BikeyMikey

Retro Newbie
Morning All,

I'm finally building up my Holdsworth frame - having spent three months finding the right bits and pieces. Most of it is fitting beautifully, but one issue I can't work out at all: The frame has a brazed-on rear mech cable guide but not one for the front (I guess it was originally a 5-speed) so I've got a lovely Campag bolt-on cable guide, which has both. But the braze-on is stopping the bolt-on from seating properly so it looks like I'll either have to grind off the original or the front guide on the bolt-on (neither of which I really want to do!).

I'm sure there's a better solution... hopefully?

Thanks in anticipation,

In the past (1960s/70s) I have set up a frame similar to yours (with braze-on fittings only for rear mech) for front and rear derailleurs. I used a Campag single-sided cable stop for the front mech, and that didn't get in the way of the cable to the rear mech. I still have a part-rusty one somewhere which I hope to clean up for a build I am planning. Looking at a 1967 Campag catalogue it has a part number 628.

Wondering whether they are still available second-hand or new, I checked online, only to be shocked to find that a NOS 628 is listed at $125, plus $20 shipping!!!!!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOS-Campagnol ... 1327625878

I have just found a second-hand one in Poland for $38 inc http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/70s-CAMPAGNOL ... 27f6f8e8ae

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I bought a couple of Huret ones once for next to nothing. Maybe try a crusty old bike shop, rather than online :D

Oh for a crusty old bike shop! Nothing like that around me I'm afraid.

Thanks for the help chaps, I now know what to look out for. Maybe not that exact one though - I've bought bikes for less!

Cheers

Good digging, Dirt Disciple.

Just to be clear in my head (forgive me - I haven't done any kind of build up before) the cable stop gets used as a guide, with the cable through both holes and then looped back up to the cable stop on the derailleur?

Cable stops are used with cable outers like brake cables have, does your front mech have a cable stop ?

Shaun

Re:

Ah, sorry - I see what you mean now (hopefully). I meant the cable attachment bolt/screw on the front mech rather than the cable stop (it's a Campag NR derailleur).

So the inner cable runs down the downtube to the stop, then runs in an outer sleeve as it turns around the seat tube and up to the mech?

Thanks for the help and advice - sorry to be dim

If there is no cable stop on the front mech then you can't use an outer cover from a downtube cable stop. Try just running a bare cable under the bottom bracket and up into the cable clamp on the front mech.

Shaun

Back