Fausto Coppi

scotty65

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys, new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a Fausto Coppi Gavia, the BB keeps unwinding itself even though I have tried switching round. The BB in question is an AXIS 113 JIS...I think this may mean it is Italian thread. Is this the case? And what suitable replacement are there out there? I have a shimano UN26, the cups are not the correct diameter. Cheers

Re:

Upgrade to a quality shimano un55 unit. Make sure everything is clean before fitting, an Italian thread is larger than a more common english thread and tightens normally on both sides ie, you tighten it clockwise.

Check the threads themselves are OK aswel.

Usually I'd suggest using copper slip on the threads but if it keeps undoing itself then a threadlock compound maybe needed.

Also, do it up proper tight!

I have a few Italian frames but I've never suffered this issue although apparently it can be quite common.

Re:

If ridden while the cups are loose then the bracket shell can stretch, causing your type of problem.
If you have 36mm x 24 TPI you can check this. If the cups loosen case hardened cups will rotate in the shell as you pedal and get looser.

Keith

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":14f5k2xj said:
Upgrade to a quality shimano un55 unit. Make sure everything is clean before fitting, an Italian thread is larger than .........etc.

Many Thanks Jonnyboy66, The UN55 seems to be working fine. :D

Back