Reynolds 531 Special Touring Allez

Falcon531

Retro Newbie
Does anyone recognise this frame? it has very little markings.

The rear dropouts say Allez.
The headset says Tange.
Weinmann brake levers.
'Custom' stem.
(I don't know if any of these parts are original for the bike)

Does anyone know why the down tube would have threads on the top AND bottom? are these for drinks?

Any information would be greatly appreciated...

Dont recognise the frame. Are the little flags brazed on or just stuck on? If brazed on it would be distinctive for sure so someone may well recognise it.
The bolt holes on the down tube are for water bottles top and bottom. On a touring frame like this its pretty common. It looks like a good quality frame.
Sorry I couldn't be more help but I'm sure someone will recognise it.

Jamie

Thanks for your help,

The flag and stickers near the rear drop outs are just what someones put on, they're definitely not standard.

Those 'Custom' stems were on Raleighs, but I don't think it's a Raleigh bike. I don't think they belong with the frame, but I could well be wrong. Cast dropouts suggest it's not a bottom end bike. It LOOKS very mid-1990s. The shape of the lugs is going to be the give-away.

I think the extra threaded inserts underneath are for an extra bottle cage or a pump mount. This sort of thing was popular on touring bikes.

Re:

I had a Revell Romany frame bought in 1985 which was very similar to this. The difference as I remember: mine had two eyelets on the rear dropouts for carrier and mudguard. However they were available in gun metal grey and blue. The change to the rear dropout could indicate an earlier year model?

Sadly I sold my old frame when getting back into cycling a couple of years ago without realising my mistake. Given the chance again, I would have built it back up and ridden it. At least my old racing back is coming home tonight (MB Dronfield, frame bought and buit in 1987, and sold in 1993).

Back