Headset stack height

retrovet

Dirt Disciple
I'm currently rebuilding a 1999 Peugeot (CP70). The headset was shot and I need to get a replacement. I'm uncertain of the exact make and model of the original. The makers details had worn off with the exception of the odd letter and part of a symbol. With a bit of research I worked out that it was probably a Gazelle headset (model unknown - see picture). It had needle bearings and looked like it could be a rebadged Stronglight A9, but the spanner recess on the threaded top race didn't look the same as the current alloy A9. This is fairly irrelevant as I no longer have the top and bottom press fit components of the headset.

My problem is that I need to buy a new headset (1" threaded) of a suitable stack height. Am I correct in assuming that if I measure the height of the steerer from the bottom edge of the existing crown race to the top of the steerer (179mm) and subtract from this the length of the headtube (141mm) then I will have the approximate stack height I need for the replacement? In this case 38mm which, coincidentally, appears to be the stack height of the A9.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Attachments

• Gazelle.jpg
    Gazelle.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 401
Back