Bar tape choice??

naffets

Dirt Disciple
asking preferences of bartape for a late 80s build?
maybe leather look? cork or cotton its going on a vitus carbone so after something period.
what does everyone use?

Either Benotto[shiny silk plastic stuff] or Bike Ribbon[leather look/perforated central holes] and no modern shite neither!

This guy still sells the original Ambrosio stuff, great tape - very flexible - won't snap whilst fitting - very cleanable - the best bar tape ever.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw= ... n&_sacat=0

Modern Ambrosio is thicker and has no holes, glue on the backing is truly horrible and gets everywhere whilst you fit it, so stay away from that crap.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Cinelli Cork? Theres also still a bit of Amrosio about lurking in bike shops of a certain age.

Ian Raleigh":1sv63yck said:
Either Benotto[shiny silk plastic stuff] or Bike Ribbon[leather look/perforated central holes] and no modern shite neither!

This guy still sells the original Ambrosio stuff, great tape - very flexible - won't snap whilst fitting - very cleanable - the best bar tape ever.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw= ... n&_sacat=0

Modern Ambrosio is thicker and has no holes, glue on the backing is truly horrible and gets everywhere whilst you fit it, so stay away from that crap.

^ ^ ^ What he says ^ ^ ^

Was Cinelli cork around then?

Mike

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ian Raleigh":35bxdyi6 said:
Cork is shite! Stretch it too much and it snaps - shite! get it dirty it stays dirty - shite! Modern shite :roll:

It works fine for me, I have it on my CX bike which gets used often off-road and thus gets dirty a lot. It cleans up well but yes if you wanted it white then its probably a different matter. As for modern, Cinneli Cork was released in 1987, hence it may be suitable for the bike. I have yet to snap it either. :)

DA-EVO":2l3yth26 said:
[ As for modern, Cinneli Cork was released in 1987, hence it may be suitable for the bike. I have yet to snap it either. :)
I must be thinking of a different Cinelli cork mate! in modern packaging - proper crap :?

Re:

Cork is good actually, have white on my Jackson bike and it cleans up ok with Jif. Forget that modern Cif though, that's shit! :LOL: :LOL:
But for an older bike, Ambrosio or Benotto is best.

Yellow to white fade Ambrosio is the best IMO

Mike

Back