What bike to restore?

deanhempshall

Old School Hero
I'm wanting to restore another steel roadie, budget is tight on this one, so looking for something cheap but reputable.

Any ideas on what I could be looking for? Looking more for enjoyment of bringing something back to its former glory than anything but I also want something that is saleable at the end of it.

If you expect to make a profit doing up an old bike you might as well save time and burn your money right at the cash machine.

If you want to do up a bike just for fun, then just look out for what people are selling and grab whatever you think looks good.

What Bats said.

…but if you eventually want to enter a bike into the monthly competition on here, better go with a Raleigh. :D

So you'll restore the bike just to make money on ?

I've never done this and could never do that, too much love goes into my bikes.

Ditto: restoring old bikes is not a money making venture. At a stretch it might be possible to restore something really classic to absolute showroom condition, and then wait 15 years whilst keeping it immaculate. You could make £50.

Ian Raleigh":6hr9uh3z said:
So you'll restore the bike just to make money on ?

I've never done this and could never do that, too much love goes into my bikes.

I didn't say that, I want to restore it for the fun, but I want something that will sell at the end of it. no mention of doing it for profit.

I have restored, built and sold a few over the last year or two. Road and mtb.

Everything has a price. Usually less than the cost and much less than the time you put in so be prepared for that.

Pick something you like or wanted back in the day. That way you'll do a better job. And might end up keeping it.

deanhempshall":1k69xe1o said:
I'm wanting to restore another steel roadie, budget is tight on this one, so looking for something cheap but reputable.

Any ideas on what I could be looking for? Looking more for enjoyment of bringing something back to its former glory than anything but I also want something that is saleable at the end of it.

Peugeot? They can be a reasonable spec for the money and not that rare and the parts are usually mainstream

Depends on budget you had in mind but Italian starts to get expensive.

Gazelle? Well regarded but perhaps not as well known as others, but still something that sells?

Back